Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is a Nationalist Astra 400 I recently acquired as a complement/competitor to the Republican Astra 400 pistol I posted photos of in another thread.

Tim

This pistol is all matching with the same serial number on the slide, frame and barrel. The bluing is better than 95% and the bore is gorgeous. Based upon the serial number #87247 I believe this pistol was manufactured in one of a variety of arsenals which were under Franco's Nationalist forces in late 1938 or early 1939.

Now I just have to buy some ammo and spend some "quality time" at the range with my two Spanish babies! I just missed about 300 rounds earlier today on the Trader forum, RATS!!!!

Tim

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those pressed horn grips on the older Spanish guns are too cool!
Most people just think they are plastic.
Ah, I am learning something new. So these grips are made of pressed horn? I knew they were not plastic, but I did assume they were Bakelite. Now that you mention it though, they did not look exactly like Bakelite grips I have on other pistols in my collection.

Tim

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
They are pressed horn grips alright - but the wrong ones for your pistol! You will note the "EU" monogram on the grips - this was only used up until 1926 when Esperanza left the firm, then it changed from Esperanza y Unceta (EU) to Unceta y Cia (UC). Someone has put earlier grips on your pistol.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are pressed horn grips alright - but the wrong ones for your pistol!
Oh RATS! Well, I certainly would like to find the correct grips for the pistol. Would you know of anyone who might be interested in these grips and might be willing to swap for the correct Unceta y Cia (UC) grips that I need?

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts