Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea that there was a japanese rifle board on here so here is the story so far

So, I wanted to archive this story for future posts to other sites like what I had done with my 1903, so here's the whole story:

Now, the story started with an old man renting our trailer home out in the country. I was the only person he knew who did anything related to guns (I took apart guns, cleaned them, and found history on them as a hobby) and said that his father gave him a rifle from his time in WWII. Our renter went on saying how he thinks it's German because of all the weird words and symbols from it (this guy isn't exactly the sharpest KABAR in the KEBAB if you know what I mean); he wanted me to take it, clean it, find ammunition, fire it, and find information in regards to what it was.
When he took it out, I was greeted by what was obviously NOT a German mauser, but a much longer Japanese rifle. This absolutely shocked me since I've never worked with or ever imagined working with a Japanese rifle. The poor thing was completely frozen- the bolt wouldn't budge or anything. I happily took it off his hands and went to work on it at home; I got my oil, screw driver, and newspapers, and took the gun apart as gently as I could with what I had. As soon as I split the stock from the metal- LIVE cockroaches fell out all over the floor, along with God knows what else. Tons of water, oil, and cleaning bare parts ensued.

With the cleaning underway, I went to finding information. It was obvious this gun had gone through a lot: carved buttstock, chipped wood, missing cleaning rod, caked debris. I was in highschool at the time and I told my two friends about it. "Hey, lets use the translator to see what the carvings say,"- so we did that. I put it to be set on Japanese, and nothing came up, it just didn't match anything. I decided to try Chinese just to see, and it read it perfectly like that. What we got was "Big East"; we had no clue what that meant, so I told them I would look it up at home. Couldn't find anything myself, when my buddy found something relating to the second sino-japanese war. Apparently " The Great Eastern Conflict" was what the Chinese called the Second sino-Japanese war, which was going on before WWII.

With this extra bit of information I was able to piece together a hypothesis/ currently accepted conclusion as to what had happened. This rifle was one of the early models, sporting the extra bit of metal on the safety for your thumb to press against. This rifle was also obviously captured by an american soldier who brought it here to leave it in a shed for God knows how long without even cleaning it. Then there was the fact that the rifle has Chinese writing carved into the buttstock referring to the second sino-japanese war. In order, the rifle would have been made early on, to fight in the war around the 1910's-20's or so, where it would have been captured by a Chinese soldier who brought it back to be used. When WWII rolled around, the rifle would have been captured by a Japanese soldier during the invasion of China, and turned back into circulation to be used in the Pacific theater against the Americans. Some time during this, the rifle was captured by an American soldier, and brought home with him to be left in a shed, eventually being passed down to his son. Finally, it ended up in my hands to be cleaned.

The guy who lent it to me for cleaning decided to not pay rent, and completely trashed the house in the process before disappearing altogether- so now it's mine. In all honesty it's in better hands now, but I wish I could do more for it. I only have rudimentary tools like 3-in-1 oil, regular flathead screwdrivers, and the will to do good for it, but I feel it's not enough. The rifle is currently resting, leaning against my bureau next to my bed, and I worry how it occasionally slides into the crack behind it, denting the wall. I just don't know what else to do safely.

Well, there's the story, I forgot to mention that while it was under Chinese capture it was used in a school until its recapture.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.