Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally finished moving all JPS stickies from the old board to the new (Phew!).

I'll now concentrate on moving my own stuff (And Big Commander and The Experts.), that should be enough work for me before closing time for the old boards.

If anyone has the time and wishes to help moving this all aid will be greatly appreciated.

If there are specific posts that you want to have saved, but don't know how, then put a link to that thread in a reply to this post and I'll help you, or move it for you if neccesary.

In a short time all the information on the old boards will be gone forever. Make sure that you save what you feel should be kept now. It is easier to save it now, than to recreate it later.

·
8,095 Posts
Wow....

BC I hope everyone appreciates how much time this work took. You have done an wonderful job and we owe you a debt of gratitude. I'm sure John is pleased.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I agree with TP, this was a great service to John and the rest of us lazy bums, I am able to deal with text, but the images give me problems (they always did on the old forum, the new forum is great). Thanks Sabercollector
best wishes
gus

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moving....

Thanks TP and Gus, I hope John will like what I've done with his posts. Though I do not know whether he'd have done it in the same way... Oh, well, as soon as he returns from china we'll know.

Moving is quite a job. I've now moved a number of my own posts, but I'm far from done yet. Where are the others? I see a huge number of posts on the old boards that ought to be saved, but I'm not confident that I can save them all, in fact I know I can't! So I'll concentrate on my own ones for now.

So, if anyone would like to save their contributions, now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
So, if anyone would like to save their contributions, now is the time to do it.
Hey Bayonetcolletor,
I think that is the best way to approch the task, I had one post I wanted to save, but as it was of little interest to any one but me, I printed it out and put it in my book. Your Bochröder posts and JPS's posts are really the most important. We can now start building with new posts and information, and if there is a question about one of the posts lost, we should be able to rebuild it the same way it was doen in the first place. It would be a shame to have to redo all the translations of your post though. Great work, I think we will have to promote you to Lancecollector.
Best wihses
Gsu

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Not much available time and a new hurdle???

Yo Gents,

I have had a short break in the action here and decided I would poke my nose in and see what the new site looks like. Very impressive! I greatly appreciate the efforts by of all of you, and Bayonet collector in particular, in transferring so much of the old info to the new site. I am greatly appreciative and impressed buy the efforts all around.

I started to try and edit the first round of posts in the WWI Collection sticky to which I also added a slightly altered introduction. So far so good! The interface is quite friendly.

Then I started on the first post in the intended new format and removed the first set of photos that BC had so kindly transferred from the old forum. I soon discovered that while the new photo file size has been increased back to the old 300 limit that was a feature of the old boards, the photos that can be posted are restricted in shape and once again, NONE of the photos I currently have on file from my collection can be simply uploaded as is! EVERYTHING HAS TO BE REDUCED AND RESIZED!

I decided that rather than slit my wrists, I'll simply pound down a few dozen double vodka-tonics instead. I simply do have the time or energy to wade into this with my current schedule.

I have new projects in Russia, South Africa and the Ukraine in addition to my previous workload here in China. What little time I will have along the way is to short and I am generally too tired to spend hours at a time resizing photos. My blood pressure is too high already!

The display photos I currently have on file are too tall and the rifle and bayonet photos too long for the new size/shape format! It's less frustrating to go back to work on one of the business plans or reports I am working on than to try and get started on what would undoubtedly be a monumental task for which I simply do not have the time!

I'll drop in when I can, but am going to leave the sticky's as is, per BC's hard work and not attempt to make any changes until I eventually retire and have a year or two to spend resizing thousands upon thousands of photos!

AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for a vodka-tonic!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hy, Who is this JPS guy, has anyone heard of him? I do not remember any members by that name, Oh wait a minute, there was some one by that name on one of the old boards many years ago, maybe this is the same person. he he. He John, I think that the posts tha tBayonetcollector has moved will do nicely for the near future. I think that they can be updated as you have time and as you add to the displays.
You were not satisfied with Russia and China huh? next we will be hearing that you are working in Nigeria too. I understand there are some very good investment oppertunities there. Stay well and try to get back to the states sometime.
Best wihses
Gus
PS, does anyone know how I can get rid of the monkey avatar that Tuco gave me, I think he locked my profile so I can not change it back to my photo.

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Hey I just noticed that I have more posts than JPS, ha ha ha
Gus

Yo Gus,

Well done Bud and at the rate I am going, you will maintain this post count lead for sometime to come! Please hold down the fort along with BC for our regulars in my absence!

Aside from the frustration level which is part and parcel of my current schedule, I am not trying to be an @$$ about this photo size issue. It is simply a matter of practicality. The problem relates to something I discovered a looooong time ago.

When your hobby begins to seem more like work than your work does, it's time for a change! I have four hard drives of photos between the US and China. I would estimate that 15% of those photos, in other words all of the really old photos shot with my "Hong Kong special" (160 pixels resolution?....maybe?), can be uploaded as is. The other 85% shot with my Canon 8mp camera will ALL require substantial resizing in order to post them in the new format. It's a no go from the start.

When on the road, I generally use fill in time between gigs to work on Gunboards. At times it is difficult to clear my head and plug in even with the new format, however once I get started, I generally forget how tired I was when I started. However, the thought of going through the exercise that poor BC has subjected himself to is of no interest to me at this point.

Perhaps it's time for a change and I'll start the novel I have been contemplating writing or sometime now? My heart doesn't seem to be in this right now. Perhaps it's fatigue, perhaps not? Only time will tell. I haven't had time for collecting since I bought that German ersatz bayonet for the M91 Three-Line Rifle right before I left on this trip.

Add to this the fact that for whatever reason, I can't seem to stay logged in on the new forum either? Close but no cigars!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Many thanks to all! It's too easy to take this 'plethora' of information for granted and lull yourself into thinking it will always be there. Your hard work is much appreciated at this end.

JPS..., take car of the BP. It's the only BP you have!!

- Best regards! Mike

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
"Je lève mon chapeau Monsieur!" (I lift off my hat Sir!) and am gratefull that you took the time and the effort to save a lot of contributions for "the others". I have some admiration for those who think not only for themselves but understand and are willing to take some effort to let others enjoy some interesting knowledge and events. Bayonetcollector, we soon must have a drink of Calvados in the North of France, I'll teach you how to make the best "frenched fries" (Ho No! not "French fries", this is the ununderstandable gigantic error in all of the Anglosaxon world!) because we Belgians now.
I hope that you can save all you want to this worthfull forum, JPS, all the others and myself would certainly be gratefull. Thank you dear friend.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey John,
Maybe it is time for you to visit the forum for your own intertainment, you are in no way obligated to hold our hands all the time.
What is the topic of your novel? I want to put in dibs on a copy of the first printing.
Do not let this overwhelm you and put you off the collecting hobby. If nothing else, be sure to drop in now and then to let us know that you are not in another Chinese spa.
Best wihses
Gus

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your kind words, Big Commander. I'm looking forwards to that calvados and learning the secret of frenched fries, I'm devoted to cooking good meals and always eager to learn. Might be a few calvados, I'm sure we have a few stories to share over a good glass or three...

Gus, your advice to John is very sound. When your hobby feels like work it is time to take a step back and just enjoy it as it is, not feeling any burdens of responsibility. Take that advise, john, and just enjoy. As fix bayonets wrote about a year ago "we'll screw up fine without you". :)

BTW I want a copy of your novel too.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Glad to see the old board translations have made the jump.

Well Done, BayCol!

It would be a shame to lose touch with our good friends Heinrich Faber, Otto Zoerb, and all the rest. I'm pleased to see that they are "alive" and well here on the Gunboards v4.0.

I haven't the time to look at all the new pics...(don't ask....but I bet you can guess why!), I would like to put in a special request for the post that mentions Otto Zoerb's gravesite, along with the flowers. I find that story to be particularly poignant.

Regards.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I'm looking forward learning the secret of frenched fries,QUOTE]

I can tell you the secret to french fries, you must start with hot oil, place the potatoes (best if grown in Idaho) in the oil, when the temprature drops, remove the potatoes and let the oil heat up again and then finish cooking the potatoes, they are much better than if you leave them in the oil.
Gus

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I'll drop in when I can, but am going to leave the sticky's as is, per BC's hard work and not attempt to make any changes until I eventually retire and have a year or two to spend resizing thousands upon thousands of photos!

I quoted JPS in the abovementioned paragraph just to tell that somebody told me that resizing can be done "automatically". Stuff could be resized while having a couple of "Four Roses" or maybe "Triples of Westmalle".
Now seriously, are we not able anymore to set some texts in bold, italic or whatsoever. Or am I "completely gone"?

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Now seriously, are we not able anymore to set some texts in bold, italic or whatsoever. Or am I "completely gone"?

Sure, you can italicize text, or change its color, or make it bold. I guess i do not understand your question.

Regards.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Big Commander. I think I see what the problem is.

If you go to the user CP, click edit options, and scroll all the way down there are three settings for the message editor interface. If yours is set to basic editor you should change it to one of the higher settings, then save the change. I think those options will be available to you then.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts