Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
Midway has both the 190 SMK and the Nosler 190's in stock .. running at about 35 cents to 40 cents a bullet.. hand loading makes that cheaper than buying milsurp ammo... Why would you even want to shoot pulled 150's out of a rifle set up like that? To take a custom match rifle and use it for sloppy plinking to save 25 cents doesn't make sense to me, much less possibly damaging something.

just an opinion But pulled surplus bullets are going to shoot like pulled surplus bullets no matter how fine the rifle.

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
AmmoSgt, with all due respect, sir........ Did you actually read my post?? Why would I want to send a couple hundred rounds of 190s downrange just for fireforming??
because I think you know that is what the guy who built the rifle recommends ? just guessing here .. and I googled all the other forums this very question got posted on ?

So you know what the load and procedure is.. have the video explaining the rifle.. and you want somebody to give you permission to do something different.. sounds like Daddy said no, so you are asking Mommy. There are as you say, only three rifles.. how hard is that to check?

Just google "Dan McCoy Garand 190 grain" and Bob's your uncle.

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
well, you asked .. not like you can't just buy the alloy or blend up an alloy, no rock crushing required ( que the drama! dang) , water quench or heat treat to 21 Brindel or use a gas check .. Midway will make a bullet mold for IIRC 50 bucks if there isn't one. Linotype does 22 BHN easy. that and alox , and I would use a gas check.. but that isn't some impossible feat requiring rock crushing http://www.rotometals.com/Antimony-s/1.htm $13 for one pound

No need to get dramatic.. I was just answering your question sheesh.. try and help a guy out. and this is the thanks you get.

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
And yet.. now you have an economical way to feed your rifle properly after all these years ( 15 years you say, amazing) , with the proper ammo and the proper techniques and no risk to a rare Rifle and no modifications required.

You are welcome.

And you got the right answer because I researched the issue ( to much time on my hands, not really, more like I was really interested in getting you the right answer) I knew the maker told you to use only 190 grains when you developed doubling with 175 SMK's because that was what the rifle was designed for.. and while your exact question here may have only been posted on 1 forum, the info needed to properly answer your question was spread out over a few others.

So yes I know you knew the right answer all along, and I appreciate your expertise on reloading for Swiss Rifles and often recommend it to others as well as benefit from it myself. I just didn't know you were so sensitive.

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
Certain matches have certain weapons requirements and allowed modifications , and you only get so much time to shoot your string. Apparently there is a long range match that allows for highly modified Garands . You insert a round by hand release the bolt shoot, insert a round by hand release the bolt and shoot , faster than single shot bolt when you get used to it.

Back when I was a kid I had a H&R 22lr that worked that way, only you had to manually close the bolt.. very heavy bolt I might add , very large "ejection port" .. you inserted the round by hand and slid the bolt close , took your shot , inserted the next round closed the bolt and took your shot.. it was faster than my JC Higgins single shot 22 bolt.
I later fantasied about adding a spring and some how attaching a magazine... never did , grew up and realized I probably would have got into trouble LOL.

Look, you are probably going to have OAL problems with 190 grain rounds fitting the clip into the magazine .. so it is going to be single loaded anyway.. why make it any harder by making the shooter retract the bolt eject the shell and lock the bolt back. okay it is just one operation .. but still, and hammering the bolt lock up on every shot can't be the best thing for the action, so why not let the action do it's thing once you get the gas port set right.. all the limitation on powders and bullet weights is based on how much gas force hits the op rod.. we know with an adjustable plug you can do things a stock Garand wouldn't like. So tuning the gas to a single consistent powder load and a single bullet weight is not that big of a deal.

Can't deny a heavier bullet is one way to get on paper at 1000 yards.. are there better ways , yes , can you do them in a Garand and retain full semi auto or keep it match legal , don't know don't know what the match rules were way back when or which match it was built for.. I don't know, perhaps some of the other ways weren't available or desired for one reason or another .. lot of new options have opened up in the 20 or 30 years since the rifle was made.. Customer wanted a Garand , Customer thought 190 grain was the best way to do what he wanted to do, Dan McCoy was a certified magician with Garands ,, only 3 folks ever wanted that particular combination .. the Gunsmith made it happen .. Every thing is a trade off , no accounting for taste or what makes a shooter want a rifle that will do something a certain way.

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
It is pretty clear you know nothing about design and McCoy not much more.
Read about John C Garand's testing of the design. McCoy was no design engineer.
It is guaranteed that McCoy did not test many rifles under harsh operating conditions if he only built 3.
It is true that you cannot second guess McCoy. That you cannot even answer the question about the bullets explains a lot.
Ireload... I think you aren't quite understanding the situation or the person you are talking about.. Don McCoy custom built hundreds of match grade Garands to all different kinds of specs and is widely regarded as the greatest Garand gunsmith ever.. at least among the various branches of the military and their competition teams. He only built 3 single shot 190 grain tuned Garands, but built hundreds of other match winning Garands. Folks suggested you needed to read some of the other comments and catch up.. you really should have.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=43691&page=2 http://www.gunandgame.com/threads/don-mccoy-chief-aviation-ordnanceman-usn-retired.128640/ http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?23166-Don-McCoy-RIP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.