Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search function and tried to do my homework on K98 winter trigger devices. I was at the Lakeland FL show a few weeks ago and an old timer with a ton of Mauser and K98 rifles, stocks and parts had a parts bin with a few of K98 winter trigger devices. I own a nice bring back K98 but know little about it or these rifles. I suspected that they were reproduction and inquired. He responded that he does not think they are reproduction as he has had them for a long time. They seemed way too nice to me to be original but I thought they were cool and was able to buy 2 of them at a reasonable price. He did have an amazing amount of untouched and unmolested stocks and barrels (including some with the original sight hood).

I have not seen any dealers selling the reproductions. I know SARCO sold them at one time. I think the markings on these suggest that they are reproductions. I am just curious if you guys can confirm so I know before I label them and put them in a box to be opened by my grandkids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
He responded that he does not think they are reproduction as he has had them for a long time.
I'll allow others to comment to the authenticity of this piece and only note that I recall replica/fake Mauser winter triggers being sold back in the mid '70s. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that like many other pieces of German and Nazi militaria, the reproductions were being produced a good ten years or more earlier.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Nazi and German militaria have been faked since mid 1944. By that I mean, shortly after the D-day landings.

After the war ended, pieces parts were finished out to meet the "needs" of soldiers wanting items to take home.

Items that were hard to come by were fashioned, altered, or modified.

When he was still alive I was friends with a local WWII vet. His unit manufactured a large quantity of Nazi silverware because whenever he ran for supplies he could haggle with the rear echelon guys for extra goodies.

One of my family members recounted the story of always picking up Lugers or P38's with the holster whenever he came across one. He was a sergeant and used them when they went back for supplies to barter. I once asked him why the hell he didn't keep one. He just shrugged and said they were readily available, why would he keep one? He had lots of good stories about the cottage industries that surrounded "bringbacks".

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have used the search function and tried to do my homework on K98 winter trigger devices. I was at the Lakeland FL show a few weeks ago and an old timer with a ton of Mauser and K98 rifles, stocks and parts had a parts bin with a few of K98 winter trigger devices. I own a nice bring back K98 but know little about it or these rifles. I suspected that they were reproduction and inquired. He responded that he does not think they are reproduction as he has had them for a long time. They seemed way too nice to me to be original but I thought they were cool and was able to buy 2 of them at a reasonable price. He did have an amazing amount of untouched and unmolested stocks and barrels (including some with the original sight hood).

I have not seen any dealers selling the reproductions. I know SARCO sold them at one time. I think the markings on these suggest that they are reproductions. I am just curious if you guys can confirm so I know before I label them and put them in a box to be opened by my grandkids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
100% repro.
Used to sell for $18 at Sarco.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
yea repo. got some pals scrounging in Europe a few years ago (i got ammo crates if anyone wants em) you could get cool weird NON-GUN stuff. like mauser rifle racks for a kubelwagen,,Ect.... so.. i got a few 'grave dug' examples, and put the best together with a spring from a repo. ALL ive ever seen 'real' are rusted pretty bad. and you have to 'fit' it to make it in any way accurate. the only plus is your squeezing the hand not 'pulling' the trigger. but it shoves your hand and thumb back into the nose area, AND removes the safety feature of the Trigger GUARD. Heres pics
P.S. i stopped doing this when i saw people using metal detectors digging up graves. cant get my arms around that. some things should be LEFT.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.