Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK folks;
Can anyone i.d. the bolt-actions used by the Imperial Troops in the last battle of the above movie? Chase-pots, Muratas, etc. Perhaps they are the same as the ones they were threatening with in the scene in Tokyo, but what were THOSE please...
Alden

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
As I understand it Dan King was an advisor on the move and he said they were some model of German rifles. His email is [email protected].

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Various

During the rough period that the movie was supposed to be there were many different types of rifles in use by the new IJA. The upcoming - maybe a year away - "Pre-Murata" book that will be jointly authored by several visitors and contributers to this forum will cover these in pretty good detail.

Frank

P.S. - If anyone has a Japanese marked rifle or pistol from any manufacturer from the approximate 1850 - 1900 time period other than a Murata please drop me a line. We can get the Japanese markings translated for you in exchange for the basic info on the weapon.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Squid confirmed this roughly but had no detail. That said, I found the attached at the Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK special exhibit on arms and armor from the movies...
Alden

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Rifles in "last Samurai"

The Muskets seen at the beginning of the film are M1863 Springfield copies (Japan made many of these back in the 70s and 80s);
The Bolt action guns show in the later part of the film are M71/84s from Equador, pimped up by Gibbs and co, and reduced to single shot only.
The Blank ammo was made up by Joe Swanson Blanks of Arizona, using modified 45/70 brass (turned rim, resized).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Australia.

and NO, we didn't work on the film, even if it was mostly shot close by in New Zealand...all "insider" info.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
but in most of the close shots they look like plain 1871s...you say that they are the South American 71/84s though? I'm going to have to go back and look at the movie again.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
but in most of the close shots they look like plain 1871s...you say that they are the South American 71/84s though? I'm going to have to go back and look at the movie again.
Wow, I don't even remember seeing 71s or 71/84s in that film.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts