Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Operation Dragoon is one those you never here of. Its kind of overshadowed by the Italy and Northern France. I wished I knew some veterans that fought in that part of the war. They help keep 200,000 Germans from helping out up North. I saw the re-air last night on the Military channel. Looks like some good fighting took place.

·
Registered
147 Posts
dive1tom,
If you get a chance, check out the history of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. They and the 100th Infantry Battalion were part of that campaign, attached to the 36th Division (the Texas Division) of the Seventh Army.
The 100th/442RCT were all Japanese Americans, except for the officers, who were caucasian.
My Mom's cousin, 1st Lt. Ben W. "Dub" Rogers, Jr., was a platoon leader in the 442nd Anti-tank Co.
In Aug. '44 the AT Co. was attached to the 1st Airborne Task Force with the 517th Parachute RCT for 12 days of tactical glider training.
On 15 Aug. '44, they are towed in gliders by C-47s and land in Le Muy, France. They hooked back up with the 100th/442 RCT on 11 Oct. '44 in Bruyeres.
"Dub" was KIA 14 Nov. '44 and is resting along side his fallen comrades at the American Military Cemetery in Epinal, France .
I wish I could have known him.

Regards, Hud

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Great Uncle, who I never met (he survived the war, but died before I was born), was with the 48th Engineers in Italy. The acted as beachmasters for the landings in southern France. I have his unit book, but it is in bad shape. I am currently typing all of the contents into the computer. I haven't gotten to that part of the unit's history yet. I have communicated with his Compay Commander, and his Platoon Sergeant. For the Engineer aspect of it, you might want to check out www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Very, very neat. Thanks Dub, well done and rest in peace.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Southern France

I have an Uncle ( that I never met) that is still there. He was one of the 300 or so lost during the landing. The cemetary is very well kept up.
Also the USS Texas was there as heavy gunfire support.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts