Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I was at a meeting in New Orleans. As is my usual custom, I hit the antique shops on Royal street to sniff out if there were any milsurp stuff lying around among the French furniture and other expensive antiquities.

So I walk into this shop loaded with Louis 14th and Georgian furniture, and suddenly I felt my heart starting to flutter. No a good thing for an old geezer of 71. There in front of me, behind plate glass is an ENIGMA four rotor machine. The sales associate , probably sensing my trance like state asked me if I was interested. " How much are you asking" I stammered. He told me the price and I immediately lost interest. I asked how he came onto this treasure. Apparently a conatct in London told him a farmer's son in Denmark was cleaning out the stable and came across this box, all wrapped up. He took off thr wrappings and there was this machine with some German instructions printed on the inside of the box lid. The word got out via Danish dealers and he arranged to purchase the machine.

My riddle to you gents is how much do you all think he was asking.

1. $25,000
2 $50.000
3. $100,000
4.>$100,000

Box Office equipment Wood

Wood Room Furniture

Product Technology Electronics Electronic device Electronic component

If anybody here is interested you can PM me and I will give you the name of the dealer. I have absolutely no connection with the dealership and I can assure you I have no commision if it sells. The photos were given to me by the dealer just for my own albumn. No photography was allowed in the shop.

I was at the WW2 museum and there was an enigma there too. To see two of these machines in one weekend was indeed a rare treat.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far nobody is right.
He also had a wooden display plaque made by a Canadian soldier with five bayonets, two of which are sawbacks, he collected as souvenirs from Vimy Ridge.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm going with answer #4, as Carol Merril's box wasn't an option! I have no idea, but I'm going to guess $200,000 - $250,000?

·
1,169 Posts
Depending on the variant these will run 15-20k. A four rotor if not mistaken is early. Neat items but I never saw the value in them really. While an antique shop is hardly the venue for such an item I would guess to buy such an item the buyer would have to look at prior sales and probably comes in at 25k

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the asking price was $125,000 with some leeway, but not a lot.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
I'm with Vid. Very neat but also very esoteric. My guess is that he will have this one for a while unless he runs onto someone or some place that has to have it and has an unlimited budget.

Scott

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'd go for the bayonets ...

Brgds, A

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow that is very out of the ordinary to say the least.
The only Enigma I ever saw was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. It was in the U-505 exhibit. They captured the U Boat with the Enigma still intact. So the Museum has one of five remaining U Boats in the world that you can go through.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I like the antique stores on Dauphine. Their is one with a lot of militaria in it...unfortunately I think it has other purposes to them than being collectible items...Anyway their's another store a block or so from there that's got a lot of German stuff in it, can't remember where or the name haha.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Wouldn't you need another one if you wanted to communicate with someone? That's 250 large. I'd rather have my house paid off and an MG.42.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldn't you need another one if you wanted to communicate with someone? That's 250 large. I'd rather have my house paid off and an MG.42.
totally agree with you. I heard the machine sold for the asking price to an overseas group of investors. Oh well. Thats another one off my bucket list.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anybody seen the movie Enigma. Its a real treat if you ignore the mushy love scenes. I have been several times to Bletchley Manor. Spooky to say the least.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts