Gunboards Forums banner

The Glock .45 G.A.P. is here to stay! (IMHO)

18K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  Boris Bush 
If you have small hands shoot a 1911A1 type, single action, single stack. And for concealed carry you are better off with a thinner pistol than a stubby, squat one.

BTW after reading the nonsense on how the shorter case made the 45 G.A.P. "better" I was inspired to invented the ultimate 45 cal round.

The 45 N.A.P.

For "Not A Pistol". No case at all. It's a sock with a double handful of 45 cal bullets.

Sorry, but I've never picked up a Glock that I could hold properly and put the pad of my last finger joint on the trigger. I end up "holding" the grip on the base of my thumb and just barely being able to pull the trigger from the side. Not conducive to hitting anything. And plenty of folks are in this situation. It's not really hand size but finger length that's the problem.

It's dead. We already had too many handgun rounds. And I speak as the proud owner of a pistol chambered in one that's been staggering along like a zombie since, oh, about 1960. If it wasn't for the old "shooting major" bullseye competitions and the Mexicans saying that 9mm and 45ACP were "military" rounds illegal for civilians my 38 Super Colt Commander would be out of luck.

Bear, just because YOU don't like it, does not make Glock a "piss poor design". It has been proven to be anything but! Took me 20yrs to admit that. I've shot many 1911's in my day. I don't like them. FTF (very ammo particular), awkward handling, and always have to tune it to make it run right. Is the design a POS? No, just expensive(for a good, functioning version) and not right for me.
Partly correct. The 1911 is very reliable and not particularly ammo sensitive IF MADE TO THE ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS!

But its been around so long and so many people who know just enough to be dangerous have tried to repair and/or improve so many of them, and there are so many aftermarket parts that usually require expert fitting, that it can be hard to find one that functions properly. I went through years, and a couple gunsmiths, until I got my 38 Super LW Commander functioning 100%. It had a lagged out oversized barrel, a grossly overstrength recoil spring, bad action and trigger jobs, and after market increased capacity magazines from a major, and very respected, maker that had feed jams unless loaded to the original 9 rounds. The multiplicity of mistakes made it very hard to diagnose the problems. Today it runs 100%, has zero jams, feeds anything and is very accurate to the point its boring to shoot! And unlike the Glock I can wrap my stubby fingers around it and get a well controlled and accurate grip. With any Glock my shooting really stinks.

IMHO the Glock benefits not from being a newer design, but in being easier to keep in as designed condition and in having had so far fewer opportunities for Bubba to wreak havoc on it. Most of the design improvements are in the safety systems and in producability, ease of manufacture. These may be important to many, and to the manufacturer, but otherwise its no better than the 1911A1 and the semi DA and wide frame make it impossible for me to shoot accurately.

That MOA crap is for play competition and has nothing whatsoever to do with "real" shooting.
Its an indication if the handgun is inherently accurate. But in defensive shooting by far the greatest part of accuracy is whether ir not the pistol is a good pointer for you, since you really should be shooting instinctively.
For me the Glock, and all of the double stack DA autoloaders are impossible and I can't hit diddleysquat with them. The 1911A1 types do point accurately for me as the grip size, trigger finger placement and grip angle mean the shots hit what I point the pistol at.
For others, this may not be true, but you'll have to figure it out for yourself. Except for "Try before buy" and "Never buy a new model because of the buzz about it, especially before the bugs have been worked out." I can't give any advice on your selection.

Nothing generates more unproductive anger than an argument about handgun cartridges. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.