Gunboards Forums banner

The Glock .45 G.A.P. is here to stay! (IMHO)

18K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  Boris Bush 
The nay sayers.... No it'll never last it's a flash in the pan. You'll never find ammo at Wally World.

I read that the 45 GAP was an answer to non existant problem.

Glock got it right but you just don't hear much about it. Wonder why????

Draybo
I think you have kind of answered your own question. It is because most people tend to consider it an answer to a non existant problem. With the ammunition not being readily available it is hard for many to get behind it. Add to that the fact that the .40 S&W (like it or not) filled the niche between 9MM and .45 acp first and has been accepted much more in many more models, and you have a very hard row to hoe. The .40 also has the benefit of being chambered in nearly identical, in some cases indentical, pistols as the 9MM which is very attractive to perspective buyers across the board. The .40 had a built in advantage when it came out, FBI backing, and the hi cap magazine ban. Since they could only have limited rounds in thier 9 mm pistols people accepted the same pistol , same number of rounds in a larger caliber. All the GAP has really going for it are those individuals with smaller hands, who do not want to shoot the thinner 1911 single stacks or those pistols are still too thick of grip but do not want a .40 or 9MM. Not the largest base to begin with unfortunately.

Then there is the fact that normally, new rounds contend with one another until most fall away and one comes out ahead, and I think (personal opinion/guess), the .357 Sig will outlast the GAP for those buyers who want something other than the .40, 9MM, or .45acp. It just seems to get more press from what I have seen.

In revolvers the .327 magnum might be the one new round that has a shot at becoming accepted.

I have noticed this phenomenon in the past actually. Some of the plastic pistols do shoot softer than their steel counterparts. The plastic frame has a flex to it that tends to soften the recoil, this was especially noticeable in early models. I have been told that some pistols actually flexed so much they had to be stiffened with steel inserts to prevent cracking, but I am not sure it the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.