Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was viewing opinions on this pistol and was the fur flying! Is this Glock comparable in size to the Ruger LCP? I bought an LCP as a back up, but I ain't crazy about the .380 cartridge. MSRP is supposedly about $ 150.00 higher than the LCP. Anyone have first hand knowledge of the G42? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I was viewing opinions on this pistol and was the fur flying! Is this Glock comparable in size to the Ruger LCP? I bought an LCP as a back up, but I ain't crazy about the .380 cartridge. MSRP is supposedly about $ 150.00 higher than the LCP. Anyone have first hand knowledge of the G42? Thanks.
It is closer in size to the small sized 9's (real close to the Shield) and larger/medium sized .380s like the Bersa Thunder or PPK (Similar bur larger and blockier in the muzzle and slide so it will conceal harder than the thin muzzles of theBersa/PPK types) than it is to an LCP or P3AT. If you look at this vid it is real close to a J Frame except the JFrame 38 has a longer grip in this example, put a boot grip on the .38 and I bet it would be real close. Not real impressed with the 42 personally, lot of smaller backups in .380, and thinner more easily carried medium .380s for main carry if that is what one wants to carry, this one does not fall in either category perfectly for me. But to be fair I am not a glock guy so it would have to be perfect sized for me to consider one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTtSwQBSjxA

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw one at a gun show a couple of months ago.
Very nice, "Glock like", felt good in the hand & pointed well.
But alas, .380...
If it was in 9mm, it would have been perfect!

I think Glock put that one on the market first,
before they come out with a single stack 9mm.
Which will put the G42 on limited sales status IMO.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I saw one a friend has but did not shoot it. Its about as big as a Kahr CW 9. Looks like a Glock 19 that got left in a drier too long and only holds six round in the magazine. AIM surplus had them at $429 but is sold out. It certainly is not priced to compete with the Kel Tec or Ruger.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
my advice, if you are considering buying one, is to wait until the fad and newness wears off, then the prices will drop as inventory won't be moving.

I just picked up a NIB .22 STG 44 for 360 bucks recently, and with a 50 dollar rebate I figure that is about what a .22 is only worth. if you remember people were paying the stupid amount of money for those when they first hit the market and inventory was low, like 600 bucks stupid.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,630 Posts
my advice, if you are considering buying one, is to wait until the fad and newness wears off, then the prices will drop as inventory won't be moving.

I just picked up a NIB .22 STG 44 for 360 bucks recently, and with a 50 dollar rebate I figure that is about what a .22 is only worth. if you remember people were paying the stupid amount of money for those when they first hit the market and inventory was low, like 600 bucks stupid.[/QU

Good advice. I agree with you, $360 being the top end for a .22, even with a high cool factor.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've owned most of the micro 380 like the LCP, Bodyguard, Kahr and they were all great to carry, but not very shootable. By that I mean they became uncomfortable after a few magazines. The Glock 42 is bigger but more controlable and shootable for extended range sessions plus still small enough to easily carry concealed. I'm not a Glock guy but do like how the 42 fits my hand. I base my opinion on experience with small 380s and to me it's the best one of the bunch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Note, the linked vid dealt with size, not shootability, and how it feels in the hand under recoil. I own a number of .380acps, haven't bought the Glock yet but plan to, but would like to remind anyone reading this that the tilt-barrel lockup design makes for a lot softer-recoiling gun as compared to a fixed barrel such as the SigP232, Walther PP/PPK, Beretta 80 series, Bersa, etc., etc., etc. I have rather big hands and the Ruger LCP is too small for me to shoot well fast, but the Ruger LC380 fits very well in the hand, is reliable, and I can bring it into action fast and shoot it all day, if I could afford the ammo. We'll see how the G42 stacks up against it.

Cheers

·
Banned
155 Posts
I have a Glock 42, I really like the pistol. I did find one small problem with it, it doesn't like all brands of ammo.
One brand wouldn't even move the slide to the rear while other stuff worked great. My pistol loves American Eagle ammo. It works best with hot ammo, some of the .380 was just underpowered and felt like I was firing a .22. I gave $425.00 for mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts