Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1928 Mosin Rifle that I'm conflicted about regarding the stock. It is numbers matching (except the stock). It is not import marked. Pictures of the stock are attached. On the one hand I want to clean it up without a refinishing. Some say that refinishing would ruin the "history" of the rifle. On the other hand, it's undoubtedly been refinished, who knows how many times (arsenal for sure) since 1928.

Another solution to my dilemma is to get a used stock (either refinished or, refinish one myself) and keep both. If ever sold this Mosin, I would have the original stock and a refinished one to go with the rifle.

There are more ways to clean a stock and/or refinish one, listed on this forum or others, than Carter has liver pills (if you're old enough to remember those). It's hard to say which one is good, better or best!

What do you all think? What are your comments and suggestions?Thanks for your responses in advance :confused:Great folks here.:?

Attachments

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Leave it alone, it's perfect.
Anything you do will lower the value.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,304 Posts
I too would leave it as is. I like the looks and especially that tag :thumbsup:

I agree that anything you do to that stock will devalue it for the vast majority of buyers. I'd recommend selling it if you don't like the looks and go searching for a five line M91/30 that's been through Soviet refurbishment, so it's reblued and in a smoothly shellacked stock.

For sake of argument, let's say you refinished it. It has pieces of woods (divots) missing, and dings that have broken the wood fibers, both old and new. You can't steam out either of those two types of flaws, so you either sand them and make smoother deeper divots, or you simply apply new finish over them. Either way it looks obviously refinished and unoriginal.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
I'd first vigorously steam out all those unsightly dents with a damp cloth & steam iron. Scrub down the affected areas with medium grit 3M abrasive pads, be sure to minimize softening the edges of any stamps or cartrouches. A satin polyurethane finish will protect the fragile wood surface. I recommend the water-based, for ease of clean-up.

After all, if you can't recite the actual history of where this was issued, to whom and where it was used, it's just another rack gun surplused out by the original armory as obsolete.;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Dilemma of Mosin Stock Cleaning vs Refinishing

I'd first vigorously steam out all those unsightly dents with a damp cloth & steam iron. Scrub down the affected areas with medium grit 3M abrasive pads, be sure to minimize softening the edges of any stamps or cartrouches. A satin polyurethane finish will protect the fragile wood surface. I recommend the water-based, for ease of clean-up.

After all, if you can't recite the actual history of where this was issued, to whom and where it was used, it's just another rack gun surplused out by the original armory as obsolete.;)
I mostly feel the same way. Any of these Mosin Nagant rifles, that are75 to 80 years old, besides a factory refurb, must have been cleaned, redone, refinished, who knows how many times. I want to preserve as much as possible, so I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,431 Posts
It is your rifle, but what would you clean? It looks fine to me.
No matter what you do it will still have the dents, scratches, worn finish.........
If you want a nicer condition rifle just buy one, they are out there and sell this one to help cover the costs.
I think you will not be pleased with any efforts you make and still have the desire for a 'nicer' rifle.
Go for it now!
Gary

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
I mostly feel the same way. Any of these Mosin Nagant rifles, that are75 to 80 years old, besides a factory refurb, must have been cleaned, redone, refinished, who knows how many times. I want to preserve as much as possible, so I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Yeah, well, I was just attempting to yank the chain of one of the know-it-alls who feel it their duty to protect e3verything from harm, even out of their realm. I'm actually an advocate for water-based poly, BUT only for new furniture, especially table tops ...

The real question is: what would the arsenal do to refurb these after battle damage. Maybe even, what would the FINNS do when they captured something like this one?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,244 Posts
I have a 1928 Mosin Rifle that I'm conflicted about regarding the stock. It is numbers matching (except the stock). It is not import marked. Pictures of the stock are attached. On the one hand I want to clean it up without a refinishing. Some say that refinishing would ruin the "history" of the rifle. On the other hand, it's undoubtedly been refinished, who knows how many times (arsenal for sure) since 1928.

Another solution to my dilemma is to get a used stock (either refinished or, refinish one myself) and keep both. If ever sold this Mosin, I would have the original stock and a refinished one to go with the rifle.

There are more ways to clean a stock and/or refinish one, listed on this forum or others, than Carter has liver pills (if you're old enough to remember those). It's hard to say which one is good, better or best!

What do you all think? What are your comments and suggestions?Thanks for your responses in advance :confused:Great folks here.:?
That particular stock was placed on the rifle sometime postwar, so it was another stock that received any work done before that.

Regarding a refinish, even if one doesn't care about the history of the rifle, that stock would be beyond repairing to "look good", as the level of sanding required would make it look terrible no matter how smooth an end finish was applied. May as well leave it as-is and avoid the hit on value, especially if it's non-import marked.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
+1 to all the above posts. It already has "the look" so I would leave it alone. Now you can find another nearer to the "look" you want to keep it company. And you will also have a clear conscience and no haters. That's winning.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Dilemma of Mosin Stock Cleaning vs Refinishing

+1 to all the above posts. It already has "the look" so I would leave it alone. Now you can find another nearer to the "look" you want to keep it company. And you will also have a clear conscience and no haters. That's winning.
Good point! I think you're right and it's a good way to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Rather rude reply IMHO. However, I catch your drift.?
Didn't mean to be rude, just tongue in cheek. The drift being there are many nice ones out there so why devalue something trying to make it look nice?
It is what it is and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it has character. Buy a pretty one to go along with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.