Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be a previous thread on this topic...perhaps not. Among the august group of collectors and authorities on the board what would you consider to be basis /basics of a Mauser rifle collection? You could break this down in terms of: beginner, intermediate, avanced..so on and so on. As an overall collection, however, what would be a must-have? Jim

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, I know I'm a beginner with lots of silly questions. So far I have a Yugo rework 98k, 2 24/47's, an M48A, and two Turks, a 1903 and 1938. I've done pretty good in that I've managed to get all of them with the exception of the '38 Turk within the last few weeks (traded Mosin-Nagants for them). I think my next "must have" would be a "standard" (don't know how else to refer to it) 98k. Beyond that, I'd love to have a 24/52 (to round out my Yugo family), a vz24, an Argentine 1891, Spanish 1893, Swedish 1896 and a 98/22. It seems that the sky is the limit when it comes to Mausers. I picked up a copy of "Military Mausers of the World", and I want them all! :p

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Don't forget the Gewehr 98!! In my humble opinion, the Gewehr is one of most historied (is that a word?) and elegant of the mauser family. If you like your milsurps, long, sleek and dripping with combat history, don't miss the Gewehr.

T

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Even though I don't have all of them yet I would say a basic Mauser collection is something like this:
Yugo Mauser
Turk Mauser
K98/G98 (russian capture or Yugo Capture or pure German)
and one really nice Mauser variant; Spanish, Swedish, Persian or Argentinian.

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
M1891 Argentine
M1893 Spanish
M1895 Chilean
M1896 Swedish
Gew98
K98K
Yugo M48

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Generally speaking, one of each you can afford, then one of each you can find, then one of each you've ever heard of.

A good core would be Turk, Yugo, Czech, and German.

Right now for sheer availability of basic year models, no time's better, because the Turks come in two flavors, there's Spanish 1916s out there cheap, and Vz-24s and 98/22s are available.

My personal suggestion for a very good core collection would be a Gew 98 (you really need one example of The Gewehr, no matter what), Vz-24, Turkish long rifle, a K98, and a high end or crested contract mauser (Swede, South American, Verguiero, Lion Crest Vz-24, or maybe a Persian or something).

·
Registered
21 Posts
M1891 Argentine
M1893 Spanish
M1895 Chilean
M1896 Swedish
Gew98
K98K
Yugo M48

I think this is a great list for a basic Mauser collection.

But I would recommend a Turk M38 AND a Czech VZ24 (or 98/22) for the price of one Turked Gew98. Seems that the Gew98 isn't necessarily as available or in the same price range as the rest of the rifles on this list. Even the Turked Gew98's seem to be going into the $300-$400 range lately.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It's really a personal choice. Do you collect because of the historical context behind the design, production and use of the rifles or because they are pimarily shooters? Whatever the reason, there are too many out there to own them all (due to both $ and space constraints) so pick whatever approach appeals to you.

Personally, I am trying to collect examples of the major design evolutions while also trying to get examples of the different manufacturers. Over time I have become more picky because I've run out of space, so I sold everything made after 1930 except for one commercial CZ from 1946. And I've been mainly chasing South American examples since they were so key to mauser's growth and market dominence...plus they are so beautifully made.

The most frustrating thing these days is there just aren't enough good ones out there if you don't have a ton of time to trawl around auctions and pawn shops all weekend. Let alone good ones you can actually afford. Anyone know where to find a high-condition matching 1893 or 1909 Peruvian?

Good luck with your collection.

Chris

·
Registered
697 Posts
Mauser Collecting

I collect Mauser 1871's. Would like to get one of every model, year, and manufacturer/arsenal. I'll get back to you when it's done in about 60 years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good luck! You have a long fun road ahead of you!
What to collect and what direction to travel will work itself out eventually as you find the ones that "feel" best to you (I like my Yugo M48 best of my 18 or so Mausers and 13 Commission 88's). My eventual goal is one of each (counry, manufacturer, model, caliber, and year). That may never happen but it will be fun trying.
As for a basic collection, it's really only 2, the Gew98 and a K98. Everything is based on the Gew98 and the K98 is their carbine version of it. After that there are many directions you could go, all of them with a lot of history attached. You can also go older, 71's, 93's, 95's, etc.
The Turks are plentiful and currently the lowest in price followed by the Yugos.
The Chinese are coming.
The Czech 98/22's seem to generally be the most accurate though the Mauser action is a strong one and, unless they're shot out, they all shoot way better than your average "minute of man" military rifles.
The South American ones are growing more popular as are any of the ones from Middle Eastern countries.
Then there's the RC's etc.
Variations are myriad. You could spend a lifetime tracking down different code German K98's or WWI Gew 98's, or Chinese unit markings. And there are variations of the variations, I have a FN Belgian made K98 with Israeli markings, chambered in 7.62 NATO.
Above all, no matter what direction you go, buy quality and originality (in other words, avoid Mitchel's). Do your homework and you won't get stung, and come to this forum with any and all of your questions for good accurate honest answers. The guys here, though sometimes very opinionated, are the pros and will treat you well.
What ever you buy, post pics!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I buy whatever's cheap and if I get a better one I sell the first.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
A possible intermediate collection

There may be a previous thread on this topic...perhaps not. Among the august group of collectors and authorities on the board what would you consider to be basis /basics of a Mauser rifle collection? You could break this down in terms of: beginner, intermediate, avanced..so on and so on. As an overall collection, however, what would be a must-have? Jim
I very much agree with Marzón, except that the M 1891 Argentine ought to be replaced by a M 1889 Belgian (obviously).

I think distinction between the three categories makes sense, but is inappropriately worded, because even a sensible "basic collection" is not necessarily cheap or easy to acquire. Such a basic collection has been excellently listed (taking note of my above correction) by Marzón.

An intermediate-level collection might wish to add to the above the following:
- M 1871 rifle
- M 1891 Argentine
- m/38 Swedish
- Mauser Standard-Modell
- Chinese short rifle
- a typical FN export (e.g. 24/30)
- some South American (1908 Brazilian, 1909 Argentine, 1910 Uruguay) in mint or near-mint conditions
- Czech VZ 24
- Turkisch "M 1938" rifle from Kirikkale or ASFA Akara
- spreading the Kar98k to include an early Mauser Oberndorf and a late Kriegsmodell
- Post-war French Kar98k
- Israeli Kar98k in 7,62x51

Regards,
Carcano

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
WWI?

Or you might consider collecting all the mausers of WWI.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I think you should buy whats available and affordable. Your collecting direction will develop as you become more familiar with various Mausers. AIM has both Yugo 24/47's and RC K98's in stock. I'm quite fond of both rifles. Also, keep an eye out for Turks or Czech 98/22's. They are underrated and usually under $100. While shopping around, you may stumble upon that less commonly encountered Mauser variant for a good price. Just be ready to jump as it probably won't be there when you come back around. Just enjoy the hunt and taking your new finds to the range.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Collection

This is what I admire about this forum..the variation and depth of opinions. Your responses have guided me. It does, after all, depend on your financial resources. Then it is, depending on the finances and drive, an issue of level as per Carcano. I can think of many in which I'm deficient...1936 Mex., 1909 Peruvian(matching)...on and on. I don't think I will collect Crests on the receiver ring. That would be impossible to my way of reasoning. Somehow, though, it gets down to the fact that you may be an advanced collector...no disrespect intended. I have this itch/fantasy of encountering some of these more unusual ones at a flea market or obscure gunshow etc. Over the last 30 years I lament the ones I passed up when offered... for this or that reason: not in the best condition, more money than I thought it was worth, tired, needed to see the rest of the gunshow etc. Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I think I'm a accumulator of Mauser rifles in addition to a collector. I started out buying all the quality Mauser rifles which were in excellent condition that I could afford. After awhile I started focusing on Swedish Mauser's. 45 Sweed's later I'm back to general Mauser collecting. Now though I'm not as concerned with condition.

I've found a few rare birds which don't match, and aren't in primo condition. But they are what they are. I probably will never find another so I'm now just as happy with them as a excellent condition rifle.

But I am a sucker for a pretty or interesting receiver crest!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Collection theory

I got into it sloppily. I picked up a very nice 1871/84 several years ago just b/c it was a really nice piece, all matching. Thought that was the end of it. My collecting theory was that I would pick up an example of the rifles used by the major combatants of most of the 20th Cen. Then, the 71/84 opened up the late 19th. Cen.; first black powder, too.

Then, early this year, I bought (cheap) several contract Mausers at an antique auction. Mostly Gew 98 progeny, such as Arg. 1909, Persian 1317 (in their calendar; prettiest rifle of the bunch), Braz. 1908, Swede M96/38, Turk M38. Suddenly found myself to be a Mauser collector (I thought of myself as a US military guy).

Next, people started calling my attention to Mauser opportunities. Got a Chilean Police w/ all matching numbers, a K98k S/42 1936 w/ almost all matching numbers and decided to look for a good wartime issue K98k. Found several, including one dou 44 all matching. Picked up a Yugo K98k refurb. just out of curiosity; may get a M48 if a nice one comes across the radar.

Then came the Papa: Gew 98 1906, all matching. Beauty. Also filled in w/ a 1888 Commission, but it has some Turk markings on the bolt. Also a Kar. 98a most recent acquisition; all matching except bolt.

Still don't have a VZ 24, but I picked up a Czech 98 cir. 1924 (contract for the fledgling secular Turk gov't, but no ANKARA crest). I would like to find a Turk w/ the Sultan's crest, but those are not common. Also scouting the Siamese mausers, just because they're kind of interesting (except for that ammunition)

In other words, its a slippery slope. I'm the poster child for the old saying "Once you break the ice, it can shatter on you." But its really nice hunting them like easter eggs. They're still relatively plentiful and reasonable, though climbing in value daily. Fortunately, the RC's seem to be keeping the prices down a little.

Anyway, this time last year, I had one Mauser. Now . . . well, "I are one" as they say. And its only Oct. 1st. GVM

PS: I must add, it is VITAL that you learn all you can about the guns. There's a lot of "strategic behaviour" going on out there. People last weekend were drooling over a K98k that looked especially nice to them, but when I looked it over, it just wasn't right. It was a 1944 (byf?) supposedly all matching numbers. Well, (a) it was just too clean; and (b) it had a flat buttplate, w/ a TWO digit serial number stamped on it (to match the receiver, of course). In other words, it was a fake, but one that fooled all the novices and even some neophytes. Be careful. Even if money is no object, your self-esteem is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts