Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Read the letter, all is clear, transcription tomorrow (if the chief permits! Because it will be my birthday and I know my daughter will bring something stronger as Westmalle, we made that understanding for many years now ;) !).

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Thank you, I hope that my third braincell will last another 62 years.
I took no chances and made the transcription rather early, before making you victims today of a practical joke concerning the contents of this letter (you know, the brief personal encounter between Karl and Brusilov himself in the local pub :rolleyes:).

Poginki, 26/8/1916
Mein liebes Rosalchen!
Heute deinen lieben Brief N° 229 erhalten, habe mich sehr darüber gefreut und sage dir vielen Dank dafür. Auch von Walter und Else erhielt ich eine Karte von Georgenthal (sic), sage auch Ihnen vielen Dank dafür, da haben Sie unsern kl(einen) Walter auch mitgehabt, der freut sich wohl wieder über seinen Onkel Walter. Walter fährt am Sonnabend wieder von Ohrdruf weg, Er kommt doch wieder an das Gewerbkommando nach Kowel, vielleicht kommt Er dann wieder einmal hierher, und wir sind dann noch hier.
Also deine Mutter kann immer noch nicht aus dem Bett, da will ich nur hoffen dass es Ihr bald wieder besser geht. Mir geht es soweit noch gut, was ich von Euch Lieben Allen auch hoffe und nun seid Alle herzlich gegrüsst und geküsst von deinem Karl.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poginki, the 26th of August 1916
My dearest little Rosa!
Today I got your dear letter number 229, I enjoyed it a lot and say many thanks to you for it. Also I got a postcard from Georgenthal from Walter and Else, I also thank them very much for it, so they took our little Walter there too, I'm sure he enjoys the company of his uncle Walter. Walter will leave Ohrdruf again on sunday. He will come back on the (Gewerb?)command to Kowel, perhaps he'll come here once again, if we are still here. So your Mother still cannot get out of bed, then I just hope that she'll be better soon. I'm fine so far, and I hope you all dears are too and now be kissed and greeted heartfelt by your Karl.

I could not find a translation for Gewerbkommando, any ideas Big Commander and the Expert?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
One must see "Gewerb" as a professional speciality. "Gewerbkommandos" had carpenters, plumbers, masons, diggers etc. in their ranks. Let's be honest ... the men who knew how to fix things because it was their job! I learned to appreciate their knowledge and skills ... of course my age helped me a lot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts