Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, here's a large one. Whether these were sent together, I cannot be totally sure, but the letter from the tenth and the separate letter from the eleventh were all inside the sent letter from the eleventh. My guess, from the type of paper used and the folds, is that they were all sent together.

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
We have three letters here, the order/sequence is: 3rd (10/12/1916), 2nd (11/12/1916) and 1st (11/12/1916). I made the transcription following the sequence of the BC's pictures. BTW, it's the first time in my life that my flat screen was put "flat" on my desk, and turned for 180°, in order to read the last sentence of the 3rd letter (wich is on the first page of the letter) :cool:. We were succesful in this adventure!
Our Karl has enough of it all and became homesick (the poor guy doesn't know that the war will take two more years!), I understand him ... been there and ... it didn't take me that long. But ... let's not forget that he worked in a "safe" position for which he had to pay a price: letting the front soldiers go first on leave. The French had a word for it: "les embusqués" ... "those hiding in the bushes". Take your time for the translation Bayonetcollector... you will need it :D.

1st.
Kowel, 11/12/1916
Mein liebes gutes Herzchen!
Du wirst über meinen gestrichen Brief wohl etwas erstaunt gewesen (sein), dass er so mutlos war, ja liebes Herzchen, dass kommt vor dass auch ich einmal unhrig (probably he wanted to write “unruhig”) und nervös werde, da trägt nun auch dazu bei immer mit den Urlaub, ich hoffe immer von einer Woche zu andern, aber nun kommt es wahrscheinlich dieses Jahr nicht mehr dazu, denn zum Fest da sind die schon bestimmt, ja da können wir es eben nicht ändern, da müssen wir eben wie immer Geduld haben und warten, so schwer es uns auch fällt, und doch wie sehr sehne ich mich nach Euch Lieben, wie schön wäre es gewesen zum Feste zuhause zu sein mit Euch Lieben zusammen. Doch nicht weiter darüber grübeln, hoffentlich kommen wir dann im neuen Jahre recht bald zusammen doch auch darauf dürfen wir nicht rechnen, denn wenn wir fort kommen oder es fahren immer andere wird es auch daraus nichts.
Wenn doch dieser schreckliche Krieg erst zu Ende wäre, ach wie wollten wir so froh und glücklich sein, wie wollten wir zufrieden miteinander sein und uns freuen über unseren kleiner Liebling. Doch nun Schluss für heute, hoffentlich gehts dir liebes Herzchen und unseren kleiner Liebling gut und grüsst u(nd) küsst dich 1000 mal dein treuer Karl.

2nd.
Kowel, 11/12/1916
Mein liebes Rosalchen!
Heute nun wieder keine Post von dir lieben Rosalchen erhalten, da ist wahrscheinlich wieder einmal eine Verkehrsstörung, denn heute abend ist gar keine Post hier angekommen. Da werde ich nun allemal unruhig und nervös, da gehts mir genau wie dir lieben Herzchen, will nur hoffen dass ich morgen wieder einen lieben Brief von dir erhalte. Das Wetter ist jetzt stürmisch und kalt hier, wie ist es denn zuhause? Nun bin ich zum Sonntag doch nicht bei Walter gekommen wir hatten um 4 Uhr Kirchgang da konnte ich nicht weg und Walter ist auch nicht gekommen, der hat jedenfalls keine Zeit gehabt. Mir gehts soweit noch gut, was ich von dir lieben Rosalchen unseren kl(einer) Walter den Eltern Else u(nd) Walter auch hoffe und grüsse u(nd) küsse ich dich 1000 mal dein treuer Karl.
1st page, last line: Viele Grüsse an alle Lieben.

3rd.
Kowel, 10/12/1916
Mein liebes gutes Herzchen!
Heute zum Sonnabend nachmittag habe ich etwas Zeit, da will ich dir liebes Herzchen einmal wieder etwas mehr schreiben. Immer habe ich Hoffnung gehabt doch vielleicht noch vor Weihnachten oder zum Feste Urlaub zu bekommen, aber es wird nichts daraus, immer kommen wieder andere daran und jetzt sind sie nun auch bis Weihnachten bestimmt, ich habe eben kein Glück darin. Bruno hatte mir nun mal ein Gesuch geschrieben, als ich es gelesen hatte dachte ich es ist doch besser du geht noch einmal zum Hauptmann, dass habe ich nun auch gemacht, da sagte er nun, er will sehen was sich tun lässt, da war ich nun wieder fertig, es heisst eben für uns warten, immer warten, ich könnte verzweifeln, aber es hilft nichts, ich muss Geduld haben, Bruno’s Gesuch hätte auch nichts geholfen, da stand noch weniger darin als zu Ihm gesagt habe. Spiess hat mehr Glück gehabt. Der bekam ein Transport nach Zossen (a place name) bei Berlin, am Abend vorher war er beim Hauptmann gewesen und bekam dadurch gleich Urlaub, muss aber jedenfalls vor dem Feste wieder von zuhause wegfahren, nun mache ich mir immer Vorwürfe, währe ich einen abend früher zum Hauptmann gegangen, währe ich mitgefahren, das lässt sich aber nun nicht mehr ändern. Wir müssen uns eben fügen liebes gutes Herzchen so sehr wie ich mich nach Euch sehne, immer warten und warten. Doch nun Schluss, sonst ärgere ich mich immer mehr, wenn doch der elende Krieg erst einmal vorbei wäre.
Nun liebes ..ites(??) Herzchen, rege dich nicht auch noch auf darüber und sei 1000 (mal) herzlich gegrüsst u(nd) geküsst von deinen treuer Karl in Sehnsucht.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd.

Kowel, the 10th of december 1916
My dearest good little heart!
Today on saturday evening I have some time, so I will write some more to you dear little heart. Always I have had the hope that still perhaps before christmas or for the holiday I would get to go on leave, but nothing comes of it, there are always others getting ahead and now the list for christmas has also been decided, I had no luck there either. Bruno wrote an application for me, as I read it I thought it would be best to go the Hauptmann, as I subsequently did, then he just said he would see what is possible to do, then I was again done, for us the word is to wait, always wait, I could despair, but it does not help, I must have patience, Brunos application did not help either, there was less written there than I'd told him. Spiess had more luck. He got a transport to Zossen near Berlin, the evening before he went to the hauptmann and through that got leave at once, anyway he has to go back from home before the holiday, now I always make attempts, if I had gone to the hauptmann one evening earlier I would have gone too, but that can no longer be changed. We simply have to obey my dearest good little heart as much as I long for you, always wait and wait. Though enough for now, otherwise I will get ever more agitated, if only this miserable war would finally be over. Now dearest good little heart, do not get overly excited about that and be kissed and greeted a thousand times by your true Karl in Longing.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2nd.

Kowel, the 11th of december 1916
My dear little Rosa!
Today again I got no mail from you dear little Rosa, there is probably another logistics problem, as today no mail at all has arrived here. Then I really get restless and nervous, then it is with me as it is with you dear little heart, I just hope that tomorrow I will again recieve a dear letter from you. The weather is now stormy and cold here, how is it at home, then? Now this sunday I still could not meet Walter as at four o'clock we had to go to church so I could not get away and Walter also did not come as he did not have the time anyway. So far I'm fine, which I hope that you dear little Rosa, our little Walter, the Parents, Else and Walter are too and I greet and kiss you a thousand times, your true Karl.
Many greetings to all dear.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st.

Kowel, the 11th of december 1916
My dear good little heart!
You will probably be somewhat surprised by my stricken letter, that it was so downhearted, yes dear little heart, it so happens that I also once and again get restless and nervous, the question about the leave also contributes to that, I always hope from one week to the next, but now it will probably not be this year, as for the holiday it is already decided, yes that we cannot change anyway, so we will still as always have to be patient and wait, no matter how hard it may be for us, and still how much I long for you dears, how beautiful it would be to be at home during the holiday with you dears. Though no more pondering about that, I hope that we will get together during the new year though also that we should not count on, as if we go forwards or we go somewhere else it will come to nothing again. If only this terrible war could end, oh how happy and exalted we would be, how content we would be together with each other and enjoy ourselves with our little darling. Stiil enough for today, I hope you dear little heart and our little darling are fine and your true Karl greets and kisses you a thousand times.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see... I thought there would be some inpenetrable grammatical point there or something. :) Oh yes, the typing is what takes the most time for me too.

I'll get the next one scanned tomorrow, just need to make sure I have the chronology right as there is quite a gap in time before the next one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts