Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Ha! Sardines!

Kowel, 8/12/16
Mein liebes Rosalchen!
Heute abend deinen lieben Brief N° 447 und die Büchse Sardinen N° 443, habe mich sehr darüber gefreut und sage dir sowie allen herzlichen Dank dafür. Da bist du also am Sonntag mit unseren kleiner Walter in Georgenthal gewesen, aber freilich ein kurzer Besuch dass glaube ich dass sich unseren kleiner Walter auf der Bahn gefreut hat. Heute Nachmittag war Walter da und wollte mich besuchen, leider war ich nicht zuhause, sondern war mit Russen zur Arbeit, schade dass wir uns nicht haben treffen können, aber Walter hat auch kein Zeit gehabt. Morgen wird nun wieder exerziert, bei der Luft ist das kein Spass, einen Tag ist es hier recht kalt, den anderen Tag ist es wieder anders, wie ist das Wetter zuhause? hier scheint es auch nicht kälter zu werden wie zuhause, na wenns kalt wird, tut mir die Weste gute Dienste.
Mir gehts soweit noch gut, was ich von dir lieben Rosalchen unseren kleiner Walter, den Eltern Else u(nd) Walter auch hoffe und seid 1000 mal gegrüsst und geküsst von deinem treuer Karl.
Margin: Viele Grüsse an alle Lieben!

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nothing spectacular here, but the details of daily life of a Landsturmmann, fascinating, I feel. The vest, would he be allowed to wear a civilian item? Working with Russian POWs, drill...

Kowel, the 8th of december 1916
My dear little Rosa!
This evening I got your dear letter number 447 and the can of sardines number 443, I enjoyed them a lot and say to you as well as to the others a heartfelt thank you. So you went to Georgenthal with our little Walter on sunday, though quite a short visit I believe that our little Walter must have enjoyed himself on the train. This evening Walter was here and wanted to visit, sadly I was not at home, instead I was with Russians at work, sad that we could not have met, but Walter also had little time. In the morning there will be drill again, in this air (temperature) that is no fun, one day it is quite cold, next day it is again different, how is the weather at home? Here it seems it will not get colder than at home, well if it gets cold the vest will serve me well. So far I'm still fine which I hope that you dear little Rosa, our little Walter, the parents, Else and Walter are too, and be kissed and greeted a thousand times by your Karl.
Many greetings to all dear!

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
In theory you are right BC, but I'm sure everybody understood that good protection against cold, and certainly rain, was better than to have sick men in my time. Let's realize that you were wet till the skin in a couple of hours wen it poured rain. Gore-tex didn't exist and even about this modern fabric I have my doubts when you are in the wet woods for a week or more. That's why my cheap civilian "plastic" rain coat was a prized possession while in the army:p. It was the only thing that kept you dry while steering a Willy's at some 50 MPH (except for your feet, but they were dried in standing upon the mesh protecting the "fan" of our M41 Walker Bulldog tanks). It was a "Marilyn Monroe thing" to do. My God, I would do it again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts