Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not about evil sporterizations. This is about honest original milsurp floor lamps. I found this posting of mine on the Second Italian Board and found it too nice to let it wither and vanish into oblivion... so here I present it to you again:

Carcano
Moderator Italian Weapons Forum
Germany
1040 Posts
Posted - 11/22/2003 : 08:06:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlpete: it's really simple :). If you convert a rifle into a floor lamp, you want to have a beautiful piece of furniture (if you want it ugly, you'd leave your home as it is). And a special one. One that not everyone possesses - otherwise you could as well buy a real lamp.

So, it should also be a special rifle. One that will startle the visitors, will make them jealous, and elicit muffled screams of "oh" and "ah", and occasional swooning. You don't just want to keep up with the Joneses, you want to surpass them. So, choose with care, choose snobbishly.

Appropriate for the discerning home owner with pride would be:

pre-1900 Gewehre 98; original Chinese M 1907 (DWM contract in 6,8 mm), Chatellerault M 91 Mosin-Nagants with the spurred trigger guard; Arisaka Type 2 parachutist rifles (the ideal lamp if you are often moving home); M 1903 Springfields with rod bayonet.

Happy homeworking ! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexander Eichener
Email: [email protected]
Carcano Website: http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
For once I can only agree with you!
I think the prettiest floor lamps are made from Carcanos, though. Just run the cord up thru the bore, thread a socket into the muzzle, presto! The best looking Carcano lamps have the light switch wired into the magzine well clip opening. Just flip the switch! Light up your collection!
Maybe a rustic couch made from old rusty Carcanos would be a nice addy to the gun room, too.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Probably the ONLY kind of furniture the Klintons would NOT have looted from the White House, had the Bushes furnished it with these.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I guess that would be a nice lamp to have in the gun room.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Wire the switch into the trigger and you're good to go! :rolleyes:

Really there's no reason why you couldn't build a vertical rifle stand and a socket that just fits over the muzzle and run a wire done the bore and out the receiver without doing anything to the rifle. Then you could change rifles as the mood suits you. Even use an M38 when your short mother-in-law comes to visit. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got a smooth bore Turk Mauser with a major headspace problem ripe for lampdome. Good for the home office. Any ideas a) of how to create a base to hold the rifle and b) how to actually wire the trigger mechanism as a light switch without burning the house down? I was actually contemplating these very issues last month.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Bases are easy, make a snug fitting cup for the buttstock, routed into a hardwood base, and support the rifle by
a) if this is a permanent thing--and the rifle is a beater--drilling a lag bolt or two up thru the base , into the cup and into the buttstock, or
b) make a small support of hardwood to brace the rifle in an upright position, make it look like a very nice rifle rack.
c) both.

Don't know about the wiring issues. Please post a photo after you make the lamp!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Century Arms sold floor lamps aswell, about ten years back. Don't have a photo of one, though IIRC they were made from Chinese M88s, and Carcanos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts