Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With their Taliban mentality it seems a possibly very nice early T-94 met it's doom at their hands. This auction of the surviving parts tells of an early pistol with two matching flat bottom magazines, cleaning rod and holster. Doing this, to me, is no different than the Taliban blowing up those ancient Buddas in Afganistan some years ago. These things are evil & must be destroyed it seems.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284531949

Just noticed that TGE won it. Congratulations! Let us know if there is a date in the holster!

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Your tax dollars at work. We can't have any of those "suicide" pistols running loose. There's innocent children, and puppies to protect. Ronny Raygun said it best: The eight scariest words you'll ever hear... "We're from the Government, we're here to help."

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Had a little internal discussion with Type 14 and TGE on this a few days ago, but we kinda doubt about this being a result of a BATF "confiscation project". If the BATF was confiscating guns for some reason, it's a bit doubtful that they would allow some of the parts off of it for keeps. My guess would be that the frame and other main parts were submitted in to the BATF or some local PD by a family member who didn't want to deal with a "perceived" risk of a dangerous gun in the house, or someone got into trouble with the law and could no longer own guns. There was a similar T-14 parts set being sold by the same seller, probably similar story to it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Like Edokko said, probably someone just being "politically correct", and not wanting the hassel of selling a firearm let alone, a handgun. Years ago, I found a beautiful Type 44 stock, with all hardware (including bayonet assembly) on fleabay. I asked where the rest of the gun was. The reply was, "My brother-in-law, is selling that, on Gunbroker." There was also a German helmet listed on fleabay. Seller said, that they scratched off the offensive emblems, so it could be sold.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,836 Posts
Had a little internal discussion with Type 14 and TGE on this a few days ago, but we kinda doubt about this being a result of a BATF "confiscation project". If the BATF was confiscating guns for some reason, it's a bit doubtful that they would allow some of the parts off of it for keeps. My guess would be that the frame and other main parts were submitted in to the BATF or some local PD by a family member who didn't want to deal with a "perceived" risk of a dangerous gun in the house, or someone got into trouble with the law and could no longer own guns. There was a similar T-14 parts set being sold by the same seller, probably similar story to it.
Two data points on my end.

* At various gun shows down here, there is a vendor who sells a lot of almost-firearm parts, lots of grips. barrels, slides, everything but the actual frames. At some point I overheard something about police auctions....

* The other is from my collecting mentor. While he was in a Northern Virginia police station filling out paperwork of some sort, an elderly widow came in with a U.S. Property-marked Colt 1903 and stated she wanted to turn it in to be destroyed. To their credit, several officers tried to explain the value/history of the piece and were willing to refer her to a reputable gun shop. But she insisted they take it, so they did (whether or not it was ultimately destroyed is a matter of conjecture)

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Several people I've met through the Masonic lodge I go to are former police and tell many stories of people bringing in old guns to be destroyed that end up in the back shelf or occasionally going home with someone. IIRC there is some station up near Cleveland that has some 1920s gangster's tommy gun. They bring it out to shoot now and again.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
The Type 38 sniper (yes 38) I once owned came from the widow of the late owner who called the police to get rid of it, she didn't want it in the house. The officer who picked it up knew the person I bought it from collected Japanese and "gave" it to him. He in turn sold it to me.

Trenchfoot's post reminded of an incident that happened during my working days with the U.S. Bureau of Mines. I was minerals liaison officer for North Carolina and usually visited the major mineral producers at least once a year. There was a mica producer in western NC that had a very prim and proper older secretary at the front desk that I'd chat with while waiting for my appointment with the general manager. On one visit I walked in, smiled at her and kidded "I'm from the government, I've come to help you. Her reply was, "bull shit!"

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Generally these kinds of parts-kit sales are salvage from either police evidence auctions, or gun-buybacks where the firearm frame is destroyed but in a way that maximizes salvage. I once bought out a gunsmith's estate in Concord NH where the deceased had a very clear knowledge of how to game the system- tons of boxes full of "slag" where a Colt DA had been detail-stripped, then the frame torch-cut apart. New frame, you could rebuild the complete gun. Made probably five grand out of four box-lots that cost me $700.

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Had a friend who worked for the LAPD and routinely showed up at the local gun shop to get an ESSEX frame for all the parts he got off of a "destroyed Colt .45" . At least something survived the Nazi mentality , BB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.