Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Are you talking about the one on GunBroker? It is at $1,050 with over a week left right now. I would love a CR39 but I can't fathom spending that much on one.

· Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
CR 39

The last one I saw sold on an Auction site went for $2,000! That was in March I think

· Banned
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is not a CR.39 or even a C.R.39, it is a parts collection on a March, 1940 MAS 1936 receiver, with the type 1 sight base and a type 2, modified receiver. Some of the pictures are well worth keeping, but I should not think that much of the carbine, itself.
Orc,

I did save all the photos and I do agree in it not being a genuine original CR39.

I suppose it is as close as some people will get to a real CR39. I did do a double take and admit to NOT looking closely the first time.

· Banned
1,428 Posts
original?

I was reading some posts over at "Tir Mailly" forum based on the question of what a REAL CR39 actually is?

It seems that the post-war specially made ones were marked as such, but were the prewar batch marked CR39?

It would also appear to me that many of the CR39s in the US today have all the traits (such as folding stock) but are likely put-togethers.

Scott

· Registered
953 Posts
Seems like someone mentioned numrich put together some during the 60's from parts ?
I would think put together or original you still don't see them often and they will
bring whatever someone is willing to pay for it .
The seller I think sells along the price lines of kris gosier (wishful thinking to ridiculous)
but someone always seems to buy it in the end .
I have been the buyer a couple times when my wants exceeded my better judgment .
mcgoo

· Registered
5 Posts
C.R.39

I just discovered this forum while researching a little about my MAS 1936. I would appreciate any info you could kindly give me.

It's a MAS Mle 1936 C.R.39 Serial # F 30xxx. Metal folding stock w/ a leather strap. It appears in good condition. I read that that is a relatively scarce rifle. Any ideas on how to verify it is original and not pieced-together?

Thanks,

Bill

· Registered
169 Posts
CR39

I just discovered this forum while researching a little about my MAS 1936. I would appreciate any info you could kindly give me.

It's a MAS Mle 1936 C.R.39 Serial # F 30xxx. Metal folding stock w/ a leather strap. It appears in good condition. I read that that is a relatively scarce rifle. Any ideas on how to verify it is original and not pieced-together?

Thanks,

Bill
Pictures! Please! We need something to drool over! :D

· Gold Bullet member
13,502 Posts
Zx:

Wonderful example! One of the nicest I have seen.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
I should think that we do not see enough of these to say much more than wow!

It seems to partially match an example reported by 'Alamas';
Latin-font "F338XX", 'type 3' upper band, "Greenish coating" on the Butt-stock. The carbine mentioned was parkerized on all steel parts, with a leather sling and beech fore-stocks. No mention of the stamped magazine plate, but that and a 1950s dated barrel would seem correct.

The post-War examples, such as this, are so rare that the military configuration, if only just one exists, has not been well defined. It would be helpful if those who know, would instruct those of us who do not.

· Registered
769 Posts
O.K. I say just like the other guys : wow! I am curious about the year of the barrel. The one I have seen some months ago (the F338XX Orcmastiff was talking about) had a new barrel in 7-08. The author Robert Dumas says in his book about the MAS 36 that less than 7000 CR39 have been made after WWII. Artus Sanderson in la Gazette des armes 225 writes 6000 CR 39 made between 1939 and 1953.
Alamas

· Registered
5 Posts
This is something that I never knew about until I stumbled across this forum. This rifle sat in a gun rack on my father's wall for as long as I can remember. When I left I home, he gladly gave it to me along with others.

I never had work done on it, and I don't think he did (or even would have knowing his personality). So I think this is about as original as I can imagine. Where would I look for the barrel age?

Thanks for everyone's appreciation.

· Banned
1,428 Posts
Hello,

In order to check the barrel date, you'll have to carefully remove the front wood and check the barrel shank on the bottom on the receiver end.

The tricky part about this is that the french screws are different and a little bit of toolmaking is necessary to create a screwdriver that fits.

Scott

· Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,261 Posts
Are you pulling your hair out orcmastiffs after seeing this exquisite piece .... LOL
Very nice indeed
Patrick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.