Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I wish to send a fraternal "thank you" to Pam, Jayne and all the good people at Centerfire Systems Inc who are making available a screamin' deal on their CAI Bulgy rifles (Stock No. RI1597X). You guys ROCK.

And a firey, revolutionary salute to comrade Harlan and his NoDakSpud crew for coming up with a ranking receiver for these carbines. You guys RULE.

Finally, to maligned but awfully effective Century Arms International people please receive my clenched fist salute. You roundly DESERVE it for these affordable, quality rifles. We do exhibit a bad tendency to criticise you at just about every turn possible. In this instance you are performing a public service and we are indeed grateful, or should be (as the case may be, individually).

Fresh back from the range, I admit my new mixmaster -74 clone was offered way under cost for the quality delivered.

My carbine was grouping five shots at 25meters fit well within circles 1-1/2" in diameter. Perhaps that is poor by your likes. For me and my sore M-1 eyeballs that is splendid and totally to Soviet Army spec for this rifle and cartridge.

Operation was perfect; positive autoloading, extraction and ejection. Barrel gas port appears to be bored to the proper width.

Front sight post had to be swung right and down to compensate for preliminary deviation from point-of-aim. No biggie. Adjustment easy.

Just do the math, comrades. For $350 delivered, I received:
One new made-in-America receiver = $100 estimated,
One new made-in-America barrel (original most likely shot out considering the condition of milsurp parts in evidence) = $100 estimated,
One new made-in-America trigger group = $30,
One new made-in-America furniture set (not the best, but new) = $50 (low end estimate but CAI most likely got a great deal in buying in bulk),
Three used magazines (two Bulgy and one Soviet in new condition) = $30,
Shipping & handling = $10 (check you invoice),
Gunsmithing, rivet set with park job = $20 [IS THIS POSSIBLE ??!?], and
Milsurp made-in Bulgaria parts (bolt carrier, bolt, front & rear sight assemblies, gas tube, gas cylinder, muzzle break, a pair of trunnions, action lid, fire selector, lower handguard retainer, trigger guard and mag lock assembly, op rod assembly, cleaning rod = Free [Oh, REALLY ??!?].

Plus the knowledge this product will not - repeat, not - batter itself to pieces like a Lancaster Arms stamped receiver rifle plagued by a barrel featuring too wide a gas port = priceless.

When, comrades, you add the above up on your cell phone or calculator you will most likely get to thinkin': What were these guys thinkin? Wish I knew. It's as if they wanted real American working folk to have in hand something useful for the next seven years ... or so. Yeah, it was a struggle for me to afford $350 + $12.50 to my 001FFL guy. Yet ... look at me ... I can quote Alfred E. Newman all day long, e.g., "What, ME worry?"

Guys, CFS has hiked their asking price a measily $20 but are tossing in an extra box magazine (worth $10).

You know what to do. Give Pam and/or Jayne a call tomorrow. Get this goin' for you. No foolin' ... 'tis the real, full meal deal that could just spell the differance 'twixt survival and not in the days ahead. Get with the program, I advise. You'll be ordering a mutt yet that dawg sure can shoot. ArrrhRURRRRahhhh.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
yep, a steal of a deal. wish my FFL guy was 12.50. used to have one for 10 but he figured out i was buying too many GUNS and dumped me. already have 2 5.45 AK's, do i need a bulgarian? well,....................

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, yes you do need a Bulgarian AK-74. You need a backup for the backup in that caliber...and a folder too, and on and on....OR I'll die with the most toys and you will be a wistfully regretful old man whose joy in life will be awaiting nurse Ratchett bringing you your jello...DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
My carbine was grouping five shots at 25meters fit well within circles 1-1/2" in diameter. Perhaps that is poor by your likes. For me and my sore M-1 eyeballs that is splendid and totally to Soviet Army spec for this rifle and cartridge.
I seldom get under 1" (5-shot) groups at 25 meters with any of my AK or SK rifles. Your's is good shooting, regardless of what many would claim.

Thank you for this wonderful report...except...there are NO PICS!

Keith

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was suppose to shoot my bulgy ak for the first time today, and of all the days I actually had off what was going on? The annual convict clean up crew cleaning up the shooting area all day, great to see the city help keeping the area clean, but no good for me shooting my bulgy for the first time :(

Archivist D glad to hear you got your rifle and it goes boom like its suppose to, hopefully one of these days I'll get out there and throw a couple mags through mine!

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
400 Posts
Century is amazing, aren't they.

They provide basic workhorse entry level AK's (and always have) for the bottom dollar. Centerfire is not the only distributor providing Century AK's at a bargain price; which tells me Century's distributor pricing is way down right now.

Century's current pricing structure is also helping to bring the AK market back down to where it needs/ should be (within reason) after the insanity of the post Obama election frenzy market influx.

Not only with Weapons that Century imports and carries, but many others as well. I see MAK-90's and Norinco Hunters are back down to around $400 a pop now and milled Bulgarians are back down to around $700 Vrs. $600 and $1000 respectively, during the frenzy.

Things almost feel like they are normalized (is there such a thing?) in the AW market right now.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
The Centerfire AK-74's are a steal. You just can't build one for that price. My son who lives in Az. just bought one of these rifles. He has been very satisfied.

Archivist Dick, you forgot to include the price of the scope base in your estimate.... Add another $50.00

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Only one problem, not to sound like sour grapes but it kind of screws the value of my all matching, original chrome barrel
non century built Bulgy. Which I paid over $700 almost 2 years ago.
So buy one of these. Later when ALL the prices go up you will be agead of the game.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Only one problem, not to sound like sour grapes but it kind of screws the value of my all matching, original chrome barrel
They are mixmasters of mismatched parts on some of the ones I saw. When prices go up you will be still ahead of the game .Even though century cant hardly screw up an Ak .There reputation is still bad. They are good for the price asked and will go up in value during a ban .

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
I need to adjust my front sight to the right but cant find a decent tool to do it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
400 Posts
No, it does not really skew the value of your weapon, as the Century build has a non-chrome lined Green Mountain barrel...Also, it's built by Century.

The original Bulgarian barrel is far superior to the Green Mountain; although it does take a bit longer to break in the bore as it does have a very hard Warsaw- Pact mil-spec. chrome lining.

For myself, I believe having an original Bulgarian barrel to go along w/ the rest is worth the xtra cash. You can still get Bulgarian 74's w/ the original Bulgarian barrel (which are TGI guns, by the way), from J&G. I believe they want $699 for those right now. Also, the TGI guns are built in Bulgaria on a Bulgarian receiver and imported w/ a single stack magwell as a sporter (to get it into the country, much like the WASRS are by Century from Romania). Then TGI adds the U.S. parts, opens up the magwell to accept a double stack mag, adds lug and threaded FSB/ compensator and voila! Bulgarian 74'.

Sure, the Centurys w/ the Green mountain barrel are dirt cheap, but HeY! You get what you pay for!

Remember, it's a Century gun; and in my opinion and those of other advanced AK collectors it's strictly an entry level/ truck level gun.

Some guys will tell you "an AK's an AK, and AK's are all the same."

Not true. Not true at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just received a Bulgarian AK-74 from Centerfire.

Well built AK, for an excellent price, and CFS was a pleasure to do business with. OTD for a total of $399 (no shipping, but $30 FFL charge, no tax).

I will head to the range this week to test fire.

Thanks CFS!!!!!

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts