Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly brother and I are visiting our wealthy brother in Ohio. Have found bolt action rifle I want to buy. Before I go back to the store and start the paperwork, I need to know if I can buy a rifle in a State not adjacent to Texas.

Anyone?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,618 Posts
I would think if your filling out paper work the 01 FFL would know the answer to this? I am not sure if you can or not. Seems to me while the CMP can {at Camp Perry, Oh} the vendors at commercial row need to have a signed FFL to sell. I very well might be confused on this, but I thought that Rock River one year was selling ARs at a very good price and the next year they were selling them and having to ship them to your FFL? But in all honesty the FFL that your doing paper work through would know the answer to this. In Wi you have to be adjoining states if I am not mistaken. Pistols I do not know as I am not a pistol guy. If you have a 03 FFl and your purchace meets criteria you may be good. Cheers, John.

PS when traveling I would always carry a copy of your own FFL or the one back home you go through. Saves any problems if you find a "gotta have".

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Devil, as I posted earlier, I don't want to wait until I try to buy it to see if I can buy it. I don't have a C&R. I cannot buy pistols outside of Texas unless shipped to a 01.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
When I was stationed in NC, I used to buy rifles all the time. I'm from Ohio.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I'm not positive but I think Ohio is like a lot of other states. You need to be a resident of an adjoining state otherwise it must be shipped to a FFL in your state. I tried to buy a Mosin a few years back in Cincinnati and they wouldn't take my C&R and said it had to be shipped to a TN FFL.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought a rifle in Ohio, and I'm from Georgia. It's legal, but you might have trouble convincing the seller.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
Why not have your "wealthy brother" buy it. Then, in a moment of benevolence, he can present it to you as a birthday gift, first day of summer gift, welcome to my humble abode in Ohio gift, etc. Doesn't have to be a sham purchase if you can convince yourself that it's not...;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
676 Posts
Why not have your "wealthy brother" buy it. Then, in a moment of benevolence, he can present it to you as a birthday gift, first day of summer gift, welcome to my humble abode in Ohio gift, etc. Doesn't have to be a sham purchase if you can convince yourself that it's not...;)
That would be a strawman purchase I believe . Highly illegal , but I'm sure you were only kidding .

Can a TX resident buy a rifle in Ohio ? As long as he can pass the FBI NICS check , "Yes" .

·
Registered
490 Posts
That would be a strawman purchase I believe . Highly illegal , but I'm sure you were only kidding .

Can a TX resident buy a rifle in Ohio ? As long as he can pass the FBI NICS check , "Yes" .
I read up on the "strawman purchase" a bit. In this case, I dont see how if another person bought the rifle for him and gave it as a gift to him, could be convicted in a court. The authorities would have to somehow prove that he told his brother to buy it for him, correct? This would be an e-mail, letter, recorded phone call, or this topic.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't risk a straw man purchase if you gave me the money to do it. There are millions of guns in the world and I wouldn't go to jail for no other reason that trying to own one.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
there is no federal law that prohibits this.
there may be a state law that does though. your best bet is to tell the dealer and have him look it up in his book of state laws that the afte gave him when he got his license. if there is no law in ohio that prohibits it, and no law in texas that prohibits it, you're good to go. some states do have laws that say residents can only buy rifles in states with adjacent borders. Other states have a variety of laws about out of state buyers.
the dealer has (or should have) the info close at hand to tell if you can buy the rifle. If he doesn't understand or doesn't want to take the time to look it up, you haven't really lost anything by being up front with him about it.
good luck, y'all have a good day. Keith

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
I read up on the "strawman purchase" a bit. In this case, I dont see how if another person bought the rifle for him and gave it as a gift to him, could be convicted in a court. The authorities would have to somehow prove that he told his brother to buy it for him, correct? This would be an e-mail, letter, recorded phone call, or this topic.
that's all nice, but remember that the batfe doesn't have to pay for legal representation. would you take this chance if you knew that you'd have to pay thousands in legal fee's to fight it in court? Along with the chance they'd confiscate your other firearms until you'd proven your innocence, and then have to fight them to get your property back?
I'm not saying that you're not correct, but the price of being right can be very high in our legal system. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
67 Posts
The yellow book says you can buy a long arm (ie rifle or shotgun) in another state with proper ID. State and local laws may supersede this, but Federal law says it's okay.
The limitations come into play when you speak of handguns. You MUST buy a handgun in your home state.
JAR

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do believe you can buy a firearm, such as a long gun in this case, should not be a problem as long as it is not a pistol.
The best thing you can do, is to tell the seller what you think the problem is and see how he responds, I personally do not think it is a problem.
Give it a shot and see what happens.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the info and insight.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,013 Posts
Dudes... the "contiguous state" crap for long guns went out the window in 1986 when Reagan signed the FOPA (Firearm Owners Protection Act) into law. This was the same law that made machineguns guns stupidly overpriced (thanks for that, Ronnie), but it did also allow a legal resident of any one state to buy a long gun in any other state in the union.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
832 Posts
Interesting! There's the difference between some FFL holders knowledge levels. I went with my uncle a couple of years ago to buy a Mosin, and they would barely show him the gun because he had a West Virginia driver's license. Ironically, he was born and raised Ohio, and only lived there for a year or so with his ex wife before they split up and came back to Ohio. He has an Ohio driver's license now, but no Mosin. This happened at a fairly big store, so it might be a result of having people work the counter as opposed to a good old gun shop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.