Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Tennessean has a bunch of ammo received via UPS from out of state that does not have a Tennessee tax ammo stamp. Can I legally sell this stuff in-state, say at a gun show, or even FTF?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Of course you can. You run the risk of having it all seized by TWRA if you do, however.

In other words . . .

Once you've applied the ammo stamp, yes. Without it, no.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/faqmain.html#Miscellaneous

How can I purchase ammo tax stamps?
State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.
I chatted with these folks, emphasizing that I wasn't "engaged in the business" but was merely an individual with some ammo I wanted to sell. They didn't see things my way. I sent them a check and they mailed me the stamps to apply.

SlimTim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Of course you can. You run the risk of having it all seized by TWRA if you do, however.

In other words . . .

Once you've applied the ammo stamp, yes. Without it, no.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/faqmain.html#Miscellaneous

I chatted with these folks, emphasizing that I wasn't "engaged in the business" but was merely an individual with some ammo I wanted to sell. They didn't see things my way. I sent them a check and they mailed me the stamps to apply.

SlimTim
Great Info for all of us. Thanks Slim Tim

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,670 Posts

One of the down sides of no state income tax. They tax EVERYTHING else.

·
Silver Bullet member
193 Posts
TAX

Quote:
How can I purchase ammo tax stamps?
State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

The wording of this law is all encompassing. If you possess a box of shells while deer hunting, it must have a stamp. If you have a box of shells stored in your home, it must have a stamp. I know people that have a gazillion rounds of surplus ammo stored, none with tax stamps. Good thing that I only have one little box of .22 shorts, guess I should rush home and check the tax stamp!
Tax this, tax that, Land of the free? Bull$#*!

·
6,262 Posts
In TN, the ammo tax goes to fund TWRA's wildlife management activities. It doesn't go to the general fund as I understand it. I think the act name is Robinson-Pattman or something like that, Pittman maybe.

Got a whole box of those shorts now Roger B? :eek: Last we talked you only had 3 rounds. :rolleyes:

SlimTim

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
Sorry to butt in here folks but I have a bunch of 38 special that I was going to ship to my son up in Mt Juliet. Will he have to pay tax on it or just go out and shoot it and not say anything. Y'all got range police who go around checking peoples ammo? We don't have state income tax here either and they haven't thought of the ammo tax yet but give em time.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Sorry to butt in here folks but I have a bunch of 38 special that I was going to ship to my son up in Mt Juliet. Will he have to pay tax on it or just go out and shoot it and not say anything. Y'all got range police who go around checking peoples ammo? We don't have state income tax here either and they haven't thought of the ammo tax yet but give em time.
Ship it and let him shoot it up. No range cops I've ever seen but they are in the woods this time of year.

Bill

·
6,262 Posts
To my knowledge, TWRA zealously enforces the ammo tax at most gun shows and at retail establishments. Never heard of them seizing ammo or otherwise making life difficult on an individual based on no tax stamp outside these two environments.

SlimTim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts