Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase a beautiful E. German Mak and it came with a standard style mag and two with pinky extensions. Just curious where/what country they were from, they seem too well made to be aftermarket, I just haven't seen that kind before. They are marked MJF on the bottom and have a vertical ridge on the bottom of the left side instead of being cut out all the way to the bottom.

As for the gun, I'm worried it may have been re-blued at some point. The G and bottom of the rest of the letters in Germany are missing and "9mm Mak" is missing the bottom of the letters in an arc shape but there doesn't appear to be any swirl marks on it anywhere. Are the country and caliber stamped by the importer and perhaps they just did a bad job? As for the other markings, it has a circle in a square behind the safety, K100 just above the trigger, the serial number and 62 electro penciled above the grip and also a lower case "a" with dots around it.

Thanks

By the way, the double action trigger pull is delightful:crossfingers:.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
282 Posts
Those mag extensions look like the ones Makarov.com sold at one time. You can steel wool the paint off and they will shine like new money. All the markings are typical E. German and the 62 is the year. Sounds like the light lettering is from the importer's stamp wasn't trued up when they stamped it. Take care

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and comments. Yeah, the extensions are really nice, just long enough. Anyone know the difference between the mags that are cut to the bottom edge and the ones with the ridge where the cut is? Is there a difference between the eight round mags from different country?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
The mags with ridges could be EG's, early Russian or Chinese, the ones with the cutouts are probably Bulgarian but could be late Russian or Chinese. Do a search on the board there's a posting that'll help you to identify them. Same with the grips check the auctions, ebay and here on the trader they're pretty easy to find and priced everywhere, just make sure you get the right screw.
I'd say the two mags with the ridges you got with the gun are EG, they should be serial numbered to the gun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gusso was kind enough to point me towards an online source for the correct grips, so thank you for that. However, I have another question, to be technically correct, would a '62 use the small or large screw grips?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,261 Posts
Gusso was kind enough to point me towards an online source for the correct grips, so thank you for that. However, I have another question, to be technically correct, would a '62 use the small or large screw grips?
Matters not what date, it matters how the grip is constructed, whether for the fluted screw or the wide head screw.

SlimTim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually they have both and I was curious if the date of manufacture determined which grip/screw combo was used. The screw choice is determined by the grip used and not the guns frame, correct?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Did you not read ST's answer above? It doesn't matter who you believe in this, Your EG frame doesn't care which grip you put on it but I'll galldanged gurandtold you if you try to put a big headed screw in a grip designed for the fluted screw you'll play hootie getting it to work, same way if you try to use a fluted screw with a grip designed for the large headed screw. Which grip screw combination is right for what year is like asking which lanyard fastening method is correct for what year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.