Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,149 Posts
An interesting side note on Taurus revolvers. The first model 66s had a slight issue with flame cutting from the forcing cone to the underside of the top strap of the revolver. It cut very slightly in and then stopped after making a slight mark, but noticible mark. This was common with them and was even noted in the Gun Tests magazine I read about them after buying it. It caused no issues, nor has it in over 20 years of use.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
And to answer themans second question which no one bothered doing. Wolff springs sells springs for all types of handguns. I would imagine they have heavier springs for the Tuarus revolvers. As to if it would solve the issue I might be inclined to talk to a Wolff customer service rep and find out.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
I actually did answer the OP's second question over a month ago, but he has yet to reappear to read it, I guess......

Flame cutting is common to ALL revolvers, it makes a line and then stops after a certain point. .357 Magnum will just make a deeper line than .38. It does no harm whatsover, I have a Ruger GP100 with over 200,000 round of .357 through it, and the flame cutting is no deeper than revolvers with far fewer rounds.

Hot, light bullet .44 mags are known for causing both severe flame cutting and forcing cone erosion. The reason the .357 Maximum is no longer popular is it caused very severe flame cutting to the point where it damaged the top straps, and thus Ruger and other makers like Dan Wesson dropped the .357 Maximum revolvers from production.

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,779 Posts
I actually did answer the OP's second question over a month ago, but he has yet to reappear to read it, I guess......

Flame cutting is common to ALL revolvers, it makes a line and then stops after a certain point. .357 Magnum will just make a deeper line than .38. It does no harm whatsover, I have a Ruger GP100 with over 200,000 round of .357 through it, and the flame cutting is no deeper than revolvers with far fewer rounds.

Hot, light bullet .44 mags are known for causing both severe flame cutting and forcing cone erosion. The reason the .357 Maximum is no longer popular is it caused very severe flame cutting to the point where it damaged the top straps, and thus Ruger and other makers like Dan Wesson dropped the .357 Maximum revolvers from production.
I wonder if you could put a piece of Stellite, or maybe some tungsten or tungsten carbide, as an over-lay to protect the top-strap in a 357 Maxi revolver and get away from that?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
This has been a hot debate over on the Ruger forum for a while now, trying to figure out how to attach some kind of "blast shield" to the inner topstrap to make all those .357 Maximum Blackhawks able to shoot again without seriously cutting the top straps. I believe someone devised a top strap shield that was actually replaceable, with no hack-job looking glue or permanent alteration to the gun. I don't know if they ever got it to work, I think they just used steel and would replace it when that piece got cut.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Stan, yes I did read your reply to my second question. My apologies for not thanking you for the reply. I took off from this thread because I thought the flames were getting a bit much and I refuse to participate in such things.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
No problem, your posts were among the most on-topic of the whole thread. Unfortunately half of the threads I see where the topic is a certain make of firearms always turns into a flame war with most of the info being false or hear-say from people who don't even own the firearms in question.

· Registered
722 Posts
Whenever I see a Taurus post, it's always a battle of "my cheap ass X brand is better than a pos taurus". Quite frankly you're WRONG. I've seen blown up to pieces Ruger GPs, Colt Pythons, S&Ws. I have NEVER SEEN A BLOWN UP TAURUS WHEEL GUN. Therefore I own a stainless Model 82 revolver, a stainless 1911 and Ruger P85.

So until you show me a BLOWN UP TAURUS, then shut your stinkin' pie holes!... Moderators if you delete my post, then delete every post that causes me to post this... Thank you...

The OP did not ask you whether your glock or ruger was a better firearm...

Looks like I was riding the Anal Retentive Train that day. I deeply apologize. I admit I kinda skipped through some of the posts. However I just read the whole thread in it's entirety and LOL'd on jjk308s reply about paying for overnite shipping! Hilarious. Either way you gentlemen here @ GB are a lot better crowd than what I had encountered in the Mosin Nagant forum back in early 2009.

I appreciate your patience...

I did hold back on my feelings about ruger, I personally knew someone who had a redhawk?, that blew up from frame cutting. Therefore I had never even considered that brand until a P85 was dropped in my lap. After reading many posts that it was one of the few handguns (built like a tank) that could shoot 9mm carbine +p+ ammo reliably and never break I was inclined to listen up about rugers. I did read several times about how much a tank it was. Recently I visited a pawn shop and found a P89 ss in perfect condition that he had marked $585.00. I mentioned new SR9s were ~450 or so. He said it wasn't as good as the good ole P series and never will be. I decided at that time that the P85 MKIIR that I had was a keeper. I better learn to read more carefully... :)

· Registered
1,231 Posts
No problem at all,everyone has cranky days, I have done the same thing, checking the forums before I had my first coffee of the day and came off a little harsh.

I like to try everything myself before I form an opinion. Even as a Ruger fanatic, I was hesitant to try a Redhawk, until I saw a Super Redhawk for a good price and decided to take the plunge. I feel it will be an excellent .44 Magnum hand cannon.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.