Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
565 Posts
bear, i'm happy for you...... but it looks like you need a glock, you may not know what you're missing.:)
You couldn't give me one of those unsafe POS'. I've shot most of the models and still wouldn't bother with the unsafe European junk.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ummm.............wow. Didn't mean to kick over a hornet's nest guys, just wanted a little info. And just for the record, I used to own a Ruger Blackhawk and loved it. We only parted ways cuz I needed some quick cash (got 300 for it back when money was worth something).

In the meantime, I'll keep shopping. Thanks for the recommends on the Rugers, if I find one I like & the price is right I may just go that way instead of another Smith. For you Taurus guys, thankyou also for the input. Like I said, my only whinge was the light trigger pulls. I'm more worried about touching one off when I don't mean to because of the super light SA pull on them than I am anything else in regards to the raging bulls.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
As much as I love my Ruger Sixes and GP's, I can guarantee no one has ever complained of a TOO light trigger on a stock DA Ruger revolver=) A few of mine feel like they have 20 lb. DA pulls, which is fine with me because there is no way that primer is not going to pop with all that hammer spring power. The Six and later GP were made with LE sales in mind so raw reliability, the ability to take a beating and being "dummy proof" with a modular assembly were a priority. it might be a bad analogy but I call them the "AK47 of revolvers" they may not have the "spit and polish" of a S&W but they are near impossible to break no matter what you do to them, and they have ended up in use all over the world. I have a used GP, a security trade in that looks like the guard who carried it started each shift by throwing it down 5 flights of concrete steps......the sights were destroyed when I got it but it's as tight as a bank vault. Best $300 I ever spent.

The 4" Stainless GP-100 also has an all business, brute style of it's own and is probably IMO one of the best looking revolvers ever made. If you go with a Ruger I would go stainless, it just seems a natural for these revolvers.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
Ummm.............wow. Didn't mean to kick over a hornet's nest guys, just wanted a little info. And just for the record, I used to own a Ruger Blackhawk and loved it. We only parted ways cuz I needed some quick cash (got 300 for it back when money was worth something).

In the meantime, I'll keep shopping. Thanks for the recommends on the Rugers, if I find one I like & the price is right I may just go that way instead of another Smith. For you Taurus guys, thankyou also for the input. Like I said, my only whinge was the light trigger pulls. I'm more worried about touching one off when I don't mean to because of the super light SA pull on them than I am anything else in regards to the raging bulls.
RaceM. Surprised I am saying this, as I have heard rumors of the actions of some people at gunshows since the primer shortage, but visit some gunshows. Visit every table that has handguns and keep your eyes wide open. I think it was about 1 1/2yrs back when I went to a gunshow with my son-in-law to help him pick out a nice revolver. I spied a very nice blued, 4" Ruger Security Six with very little holster wear and very tight lock up. Great bore. The guy was only asking $250 for the gun. I tried to talk my son-in-law into getting it, but I think I had already sold the GP100 to him in our talks. He walked out with a NIB 4" Stainless GP for a little over $500. Still kicking myself for not bringing any money with me. I would have picked up that Six in a heartbeat.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I will say that I think the Rugers are tougher than the tauri that I love. My blackhawks are awesome. I thought the question was whether the taurus revolvers were good revolvers. I think the are. My 3 are good guns with enough rounds through them that I know they work for CC and for nightstand use. My blackhawks have thousands of rounds through the and are great, but I havent seen any GP in my neck of the woods for the 200-300 dollars I have in my tauri. The taurus revolvers i have work great for the job i have them for.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
As far as light action goes, Bob Munden the quick shot artist and gunsmith used to give free shows in my town and he had on display a S&W Model 29 he had worked the trigger on. I never saw a lighter trigger on a revolver but he swore it went "bang" every time on all brands he'd tried.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
The definition of "is ____ a good gun" is subjective, I mean, they are all good until they fail!

Not trying to be a wiseass, but it's true. The guy next to me at the range loved his Taurus .357 until the forcing cone and cylinder face binded up from heat expansion, he's like "Oh WTF!" and had to wait 4 or 5 minutes before he could open the cylinder.......so he'll be at the forcing cone with a fine file, I would imagine. He didn't fire it enough to form an opinion but thought "yeah these Taurus's are awesome" then it failed.......rather the failure at the range then in a self defense scenario.

I mean, sure, I can't say I would walk past a used Taurus 82 for $150 at a gun show, could always use another plinker but I am saying I personally would not take a Taurus as a first and only choice. Just my opinion, I'm not an expert just a guy who likes guns like all of us here!

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
They are foreign crap and therefore not just defective but a danger to all of us.

Please box yours up and ship them all to me so I can melt them down into boat anchors and save America from this Brazilian scourge that's worse than fire ants.

I'll even pay the overnight shipping charges!

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Come on, why hijack the post with all this garbage. The man did not ask if Taurus were quality revolvers, the man did not ask for a review of Taurus revolvers, the man did not ask for a comparision between Taurus and Smith and Wesson, or even what other revolvers IE Ruger , Colt, or anything else might work.

The man asked if Taurus Revolvers were known for light actions/trigger pulls and if they affect reliablity.

Then he asked if he should stick with S&W perhaps. Thats all, it was a pretty simple thread until everyone took the opportunity to get up and preach about everything else.

Bet he wont be asking any more questions any time soon.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mr. D., thank you for your perspicacity, but you're wrong. At the risk of starting yet another "spirited" discussion, I do have another query.

Is there a way or ways that Taurus wheelguns may be modified to fix what what I find to be an issue, ie, the light trigger pull? Are there spring kits or something I can do to bring the action more into line with what I have shot/trained on for most of my life?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
An advantage Taurus has over S&W is Taurus revolvers use a hammer mainspring. Like S&W does now and Ruger always has, Taurus also uses a frame mounted firing pin which IMO eliminates a few of the problems caused by pin in hammer setups. My one Taurus has too much firing pin protrusion on the hammer and the pin sticks in popped primers, so I have to shorten the pin a little bit. This would not have occurred in a later Taurus with the transfer bar system.

Wolff offers springs for the Taurus, not sure but they may have an "extra power" trigger and hammer spring that will make the trigger pull heavier and add more primer popping force to the hammer. If they don't offer an "Xtra Power" in their lineup I'm sure if you contact them they can make you one.

I myself am the same way, I prefer a heavy, even DA pull and a heavy but crisp SA break. I leave the springs in my Rugers bone stock, I would rather have the firm DA pull through.

I have bought several both S&W and Ruger wheelguns that have been "worked" and the Rugers were far easier to return to factory specs. The S&W's I had to replace the strain screw, mainspring, trigger spring, and they were never "right" again.

· Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
My Taurus wheel guns have the smoothest trigger pulls right out of the box. Never had any FTF due to light primer strikes. Models are 45ACP Tracker, .38 Special CIA, and my wife's carry is M85 snubbie in .38 Special. Just for the record, my nightstand gun is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
As stated before, I loved my Taurus Model 66. Although I didn't think it had the strength of a Ruger or Smith, I felt comfortable with it. And it shot great right out of the box. Use it, but don't abuse it.
Any handgun can be finely tuned, if you want to spend the time and money on it. I've never found the need for any one that I have had. Practice with it, and you will get used to it. I prefer a light double action trigger, but don't like a hair trigger in single action.
My GP was a little stiff in double action. But after firing several hundred rounds through it, it lightened up.

· Registered
722 Posts
Whenever I see a Taurus post, it's always a battle of "my cheap ass X brand is better than a pos taurus". Quite frankly you're WRONG. I've seen blown up to pieces Ruger GPs, Colt Pythons, S&Ws. I have NEVER SEEN A BLOWN UP TAURUS WHEEL GUN. Therefore I own a stainless Model 82 revolver, a stainless 1911 and Ruger P85.

So until you show me a BLOWN UP TAURUS, then shut your stinkin' pie holes!... Moderators if you delete my post, then delete every post that causes me to post this... Thank you...

The OP did not ask you whether your glock or ruger was a better firearm...

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Dear Mr. Moderator,

I formally request this entire thread go to the round file due to the amount of acrimony it has generated.

Regards,

Race M.

· Registered
565 Posts
You guys are all aware that not only were S&W and Taurus owned by the same parent company at one time, but almost all of the Taurus revolvers are license built S&W guns, AKA exact copies.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
You guys are all aware that not only were S&W and Taurus owned by the same parent company at one time, but almost all of the Taurus revolvers are license built S&W guns, AKA exact copies.
Interesting, what was, or is, the name of the company?

Taurus revolvers can be tuned much like any other revolver, including S&W. I've seen many a tricked out Taurus' .38spls in South America. With that said, you're starting out with a better "fit and finish" on a S&W; especially so if it's an older one.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
In the early 70s Bangor Punta owned both S$W and Taurus. Taurus was sold off sometime in the late 70s or early 80s and then Bango Punta was bought out along with S&W.

S&W and Taurus no longer, to my knowledge, have any ties whatsoever. Their early handguns were very close, not exact but close. I had a Model 19 and Taurus 66 both from that time period at the same time, VERY close but not exact.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Pics of blown up Taurus revolvers? Do a google search and you'll find plenty of them. Apparently a bad batch of the Model 65's got out and had stress cracks form in the cylinders......

Sure you can blow up ANY gun with overloaded ammo. But if you think any Taurus is stronger or more durable than a Ruger SP101, GP100 or Redhawk, then I wanna try whatever it is you're smokin! And yes, for the record I own several Taurus revolvers, along with pretty much every maker that ever turned out a revolver so I own and have tried em all. I'm a Ruger guy, because I like durability. Even have an Armcor/Rock Island 4" .38 sitting in it's case broken after 100 or so rounds of standard .38 (CRAP-ola!)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.