Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
As S.L. stated, I had one of the older Taurus model 66 that I bought back in the mid '80s. Loved it. Just not quite strong enough and mostly practiced with 38 loads. Functioned fine though. Never a FTF with any ammo.
Also not familiar with their newer models.
As stan pointed out. I would also go with a Ruger, over a Taurus. If you can afford the little extra in cost, you will never regret it. It would be well worth your time if you have to save up a little more to get that Ruger GP100.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
Taurus seems to be focusing on auto pistols these days, and I honestly would pick up a PT-92, probably an older one without the rail if I saw one in good shape for $250 or so. But I don't see myself buying a Taurus revolver, I just have no use for it with several Ruger GP's and Sixes.
Maybe thats the problem Stan. You may just have to many Gp's and Sixes. You can send me one of each and I would gladly take them off your hands. Throw in a SP101, if you have one. LOL

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
Ummm.............wow. Didn't mean to kick over a hornet's nest guys, just wanted a little info. And just for the record, I used to own a Ruger Blackhawk and loved it. We only parted ways cuz I needed some quick cash (got 300 for it back when money was worth something).

In the meantime, I'll keep shopping. Thanks for the recommends on the Rugers, if I find one I like & the price is right I may just go that way instead of another Smith. For you Taurus guys, thankyou also for the input. Like I said, my only whinge was the light trigger pulls. I'm more worried about touching one off when I don't mean to because of the super light SA pull on them than I am anything else in regards to the raging bulls.
RaceM. Surprised I am saying this, as I have heard rumors of the actions of some people at gunshows since the primer shortage, but visit some gunshows. Visit every table that has handguns and keep your eyes wide open. I think it was about 1 1/2yrs back when I went to a gunshow with my son-in-law to help him pick out a nice revolver. I spied a very nice blued, 4" Ruger Security Six with very little holster wear and very tight lock up. Great bore. The guy was only asking $250 for the gun. I tried to talk my son-in-law into getting it, but I think I had already sold the GP100 to him in our talks. He walked out with a NIB 4" Stainless GP for a little over $500. Still kicking myself for not bringing any money with me. I would have picked up that Six in a heartbeat.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
As stated before, I loved my Taurus Model 66. Although I didn't think it had the strength of a Ruger or Smith, I felt comfortable with it. And it shot great right out of the box. Use it, but don't abuse it.
Any handgun can be finely tuned, if you want to spend the time and money on it. I've never found the need for any one that I have had. Practice with it, and you will get used to it. I prefer a light double action trigger, but don't like a hair trigger in single action.
My GP was a little stiff in double action. But after firing several hundred rounds through it, it lightened up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.