Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a touch/feel/fondle session with a couple Taurus revolvers. The first was an 8-shot blued 357 and the second a stainless 357 six-shooter, both with 6+ inch barrels.

My takeaway was that the single action trigger pulls were way too light, somewhere in the 2# range and lacking crispness when letting off. The double action pulls were smooth, but also felt very light in comparison to my S&W 38, to the point I'd almost be leery of light primer strikes.

Anyone care to chime in with experiences/opinions? I'm in the market for a long-barreled 357 and while the prices are very good on these two pieces I'd just as soon stay with a well-loved S&W.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My wife has and uses the old model 66 Taurus. The first version they made of that model in blue and six shot. The trigger pull has been since day one very smooth and light in both single and double action. The single is VERY light, target shooter quality light and smooth. In probably 25 years, it has yet to ever not fire when the trigger is pulled on any ammunition we hve fed it. That includes all manner of domestic brands including Blazers and even some foreign stuff.

Cannot speak on the newer models however.

One observation however, if you would rather stay with a well loved S&W, why not do so? I have the feeling you have already made up your mind and just are not admitting it yet. Pass on the Taurii if that is the case, you wimply wont be satisfied until you get the S&W if that is what you secretly want.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayull, that's why I was asking for opinions and/or comments. My main beef is the light pull weight and was wondering if that was typical of the breed. Apparently it is, and I thank you for the confirmation.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
I have a tracker 44 mag and am very pleased with it. I like the light single action pull and a decent double action. For Home defense and hunting backup.
I wanted a S&W 629 or a mod 29 but money was an issue especially trying to find porting, 5 rounds, and a 4-inch barrel.
I also understand wanting and waiting I took 4 months to get a FNP40 after trying all the other semis.

Stick with your desires even if it takes longer you will be pleased n the end.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Freinds don't let freinds buy Taurus!

J/K....... but be aware the QC of the newer Taurus wheelguns is spotty. The prices also seem to be going up on them for some reason.....I have one Taurus and it's an older early 80's .38 4", and it's OK but it sure ain't no S&W, and I have nearly a dozen Smiths vs. the one Taurus. I also have 13 Ruger .357 and .38 revolvers, I went Ruger for my revolver choice and never looked back. There was a time when I was looking at the Taurus 65, since it was a "K-frame" size .357 but came into quite a few police trade in Service Sixes for $250 or so and thus, any thoughts of buying Taurus are a distant memory.......

Gander Mt. has the 85 .38 snubs flying out of there, mostly from people just looking for an economical CCW piece and most likely they just carry them and hardly fire them.

People I know who bought a Taurus either love them or absolutely despise them and got rid of them for whatever they could get. My local dealer won't take anything with "Taurus" on it in trade, for any price. A guy had a little Taurus .380 he was trying to sell, and he politely said he won't accept a Taurus for a trade because he won't be able to make anything on it and still give a seller a decent price. I told him I was looking for the newer Taurus 9mm snub just because I wanted a wheelgun in 9mm and he talked me out of it. I buy plenty of guns there so he wasn't trying to "move stock" he just said he stopped being a Taurus dealer because so many of the revolvers had timing problems, some right out of the box. He said he opened up a Taurus .357 and it had chamber-forcing cone alignment issues, right new out of the wrap, he sent it back and stopped stocking them alltogether.

My personal recommendation would be to buy or order a new Ruger GP100 6", sets you back $500 or so but it's one you'll own and shoot for life without any worries. I have seen used GP100's for $350-400, on par with new Taurus prices and I will take a used GP100 ANY day over a NIB Taurus .357. My great grandkids will inherit my Rugers in full working order.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
As S.L. stated, I had one of the older Taurus model 66 that I bought back in the mid '80s. Loved it. Just not quite strong enough and mostly practiced with 38 loads. Functioned fine though. Never a FTF with any ammo.
Also not familiar with their newer models.
As stan pointed out. I would also go with a Ruger, over a Taurus. If you can afford the little extra in cost, you will never regret it. It would be well worth your time if you have to save up a little more to get that Ruger GP100.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have 3 Taurus revolvers, an old model 85, A tracker 357, and a model 650 stainless snubbie 357 that I carry every day. I have yet to have a problem with any of them. They shoot fine and carry well enough. The tracker has become my nightstand gun.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Taurus seems to be focusing on auto pistols these days, and I honestly would pick up a PT-92, probably an older one without the rail if I saw one in good shape for $250 or so. But I don't see myself buying a Taurus revolver, I just have no use for it with several Ruger GP's and Sixes.

IMO it's easier to make an inexpensive but solid autoloading pistol, like the PT92, than it is to make good, inexpensive revolvers. Revolver making is just something a gun maker has to get right, and Taurus just never seemed to get it down enough to not have intermittent problems. The revolvers they made in the Bangor Punta era were probably better when they had the connection with S&W. Taurus has been making the 92 long enough that it's a solid pistol now, although I would rather get one from back when it had more "Beretta DNA". The "S&W DNA" is long gone from Taurus wheelguns.

There are police and security trade in GP's on Gunbroker in the $3-400 range and most of them just look beat up but are not really fired all that much. I got a 4" SS adjustable sight GP for $400 on GB and it's mechanically new, just beat looking. Last time I checked new Taurus 66's were about $350-400 so to me the used GP is far and away the much better deal.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Taurus seems to be focusing on auto pistols these days, and I honestly would pick up a PT-92, probably an older one without the rail if I saw one in good shape for $250 or so. But I don't see myself buying a Taurus revolver, I just have no use for it with several Ruger GP's and Sixes.
Maybe thats the problem Stan. You may just have to many Gp's and Sixes. You can send me one of each and I would gladly take them off your hands. Throw in a SP101, if you have one. LOL

·
Registered
565 Posts
I picked up two Taurus revolvers in the last couple of years. Both are in 41 Magnum. The first is a 415, 5 shot, 2 1/2" ported barrel with NON-adjustable sights. Works well as a CCW piece with home grown 41 Special loads. The second is a 425, 5 shot, 4" ported barrel with adjustable sights, I use it for a couple of purposes. As an Open Carry gun with 41 Special loads and as a on my person carry while hunting with some 300 grain hunting loads as a backup for my Ruger Redhawk (Blued, 41 Magnum, 7" barrel with Firesights and Pachmyar grips) which rides in a holster on my tank bags on my quad. About a thousand rounds thru each gun and no issues to date.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No such thing as too many GP's or Sixes!

Lots of people who have Tauri are like "3,000 rounds and no problems" but with a Ruger you don't have to keep a round count. I got a good price on a really well used GP100 and the guy I bought it from, when I asked about how many rounds has it seen, he said he handloads lots of .357 and that GP was his test gun for new loads and he "lost count somewhere in the 20,000s"

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts

Lots of people who have Tauri are like "3,000 rounds and no problems" but with a Ruger you don't have to keep a round count. I got a good price on a really well used GP100 and the guy I bought it from, when I asked about how many rounds has it seen, he said he handloads lots of .357 and that GP was his test gun for new loads and he "lost count somewhere in the 20,000s"
If the Rugers are so special why was he counting then? LOL

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
i believe i'd spend a little extra and get a smith, or at least a dan wesson. only taurus i'd want is the judge, and i need one of those like a hole in the head. go smith.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Only a fool doesn't keep a round count on any gun regardless of manufacture. You gun manufacture snobs really miss a lot of neat, fun guns because if it ain't a certain brand and cost more money, you won't even consider it.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
bear, thanks for the insult. if i wanted a harley, which i have, i would'nt buy a honda that tried to look like one. never met a smith and wesson i did'nt like, have met a couple of taurus copycats i did'nt care fpr, especially since they were nearly as expensive as what they were copying. to each his own, RaceM asked for opinions, and got them. i think he knew the answer before asking, though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If going with Ruger over a Taurus makes me a gun snob, then I guess that's what I am! Some guys with Pythons and Anaconda's look down on my "cheap" GP100 but we'll see which one is still in time after 5,000 more rounds.

I have a lot of examples of Smiths in my collection too, but no longer seek them out. As a revolver shooter Ruger has met all my needs and then some, so I never really looked back. Ruger revolvers and CZ autos have proven themselves enough to me to become my #1 choices for revolvers and autoloaders. If another brand besides my CZ-85 can go for a 2,000 round range session in one afternoon, without so much as a drop of oil and 0 malfunctions, then it may earn my trust. Also I have shot lots of rounds through my Rugers without failure and also have used examples that have seen countless nuclear missile grade handloads at the hands of past owners, and came through just fine, after abuse that would have sent a S&W or Colt to a gunsmith.

I'm just a fan of guns that are durable and have no frills. If someone can provide me a valid reason why a $350 new Taurus 66 is a better deal than a used but well maintained GP-100 for the same price, I would love to hear it.

Most of the Rugers I got used with an unknown and probably fairly high round count actually cost less then people are shelling out for NIB Taurus guns......no need to count the rounds I myself put on it when it's probably already seen 10,000+ and is still tight as the day it left the factory.

When people talked about Ruger revolvers being "tanks" and "the best wheelguns out there" a few years back, I didn't ignore them, I went out and bought my first Ruger to see what all the hype was about and was glad I did. Sometimes it pays to listen to what other people have to say about a certain firearm.

·
Registered
565 Posts
bear, thanks for the insult. if i wanted a harley, which i have, i would'nt buy a honda that tried to look like one. never met a smith and wesson i did'nt like, have met a couple of taurus copycats i did'nt care fpr, especially since they were nearly as expensive as what they were copying. to each his own, RaceM asked for opinions, and got them. i think he knew the answer before asking, though.
I rest my case. Don't let the facts sway you, it is obvious you have already made up you mind.

FYI, I own, in no particular order, Colt, S&W, Remington, Ruger, H&K, Detonics, Thompson Contender, Savage, Charter Arms, Springfield Armory, H&R, Marlin, Winchester, American Arms, Mauser, Mossberg, Norinco, Excam, EAA, Taurus, Stevens, High Standard, New England Firearms, Arsenal, Chipmunk, US Springfield Armory (US Military), Baikal, Beretta, Steyr, Rossi and Davis Industries. The all have a place in my collection and are fun in their own way.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
All I can say is, do what makes you happy man!

We have the freedom to choose to own whatever we want, I know what I like and you know what you like.

Otherwise we can sit here all day with the ruler having a big ____ contest but I'm sure we all have better things to do! hahahaha

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
bear, i'm happy for you...... but it looks like you need a glock, you may not know what you're missing.:)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts