Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Star BM as I like steel single stack for a carry gun. It's okay, but I had two FTE last time at the range, so I'm sorta looking around for a replacement. (I need to spend more time with it and some different ammo...)

Someone suggested a Taurus Pt 908 (as well at the Pt 911, 909, and 917), but I sorta like the 908.
Anyone have any experience with the 908? I've got three other Taurus (Pt99, .357 and .44 special) and I like 'em all, never had a problem.

Also have a Sig P6 (225) on my wish list as well a S&W 3913. But in terms of value for price, I'm not afraid of the Taurus...but if I can find a Sig I'll do it.

What I want is a non-plastic, single stack, in 9mm, that's comfortable to conceal, doesn't bite the hand that feeds it, and keep muzzle flip to a minimum. (Oh, yeah, I'm a cheapskate as well, and more than willing to sacrifice looks for price, as long as it operates at 100%)

Here's a couple of pics of the Star:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You might need a new extractor spring in your Star. A mushy spring could cause your FTE.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Queue generic anti-Taurus rants here which do everything but answer the questions about the specific pistols asked about.

I have had good luck with Taurus revolvers but have less experience with their pistols. Know people with them who have had excellent results, including the series you mentioned. One guy had some issues with one of that series, but their good service took care of it, and now he carries it constantly. I personally would not hesitate to own one. I did however shoot one of those and it felt odd, not terrible odd, just different. I would shoot one first to see if it is something you like.

The Sig is a top choice, you can find them still fairly reasonable on gunbroker, look for P6, or P225, same basic pistol.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Sig 225 is nice.

This is the reason I dont buy guns that are out of production with no or almost no parts availability. If I have to track down odds and ends from one or two sources its just not worth it.

Generic anti Taurus guy here. I have no desire to test that model because there is no proof that somehow that one is better made then all the others. I have to start taking pics and recording "interviews" with people who have had Taurus's otherwise its just talk. I always stand by my idea that owning one for a long time does not equal shooting one a lot. I have guns that Ive owned for decades and shot 5 rounds through. Doenst make that gun reliable. People who carry one constantly only have experiance with the finish and holster wear not reliability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts