Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This must be the rattiest,tattiest bayonet I've ever bought!....underneath its a s98 sawback...dated 05 and made by V.C.Schilling Suhl.....The grips have been attacked by a wood eating critter...the holes are about 1-2 mm deep.. I'm pretty certain its all safe now.These blades don't come onto the UK market very often...and when they do they command a high price.In spite of its tattiness (its certainly not spent its life in a draw,depot or a museum case!) the saw back teeth are in good condition and still sharp!....despite its condition it'll do very nicely for me!

·
Registered
602 Posts
As AndyB wrote, it is a Saxon piece. It is evidenced by the script cypher "FA" on the blade spine above the '05 date. This cypher proof was used from 1904-1918. From my years of collecting, I have found that the Saxon marked bayonets are encountered less often than the Bavarian blades. If I were to rate the desirability of bayonets by their German States, I would rate Saxony as #1, Wurttemberg and Bavarian as #2, and finally Prussian as #3 (due to massive numbers). I currently have three S98 sawbacks and all are Prussian pieces. I'd like to score sawbacks in both a Saxon S98 and a 98/05. I'm sure some other members will chime in with additional details. GOOD COLLECTING to You! !

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Difficult to find in the UK? Even harder in Turkey! I have managed three of these in 10 years of collecting, one with no markings at all... I thought it might be Peruvian with the pommel marks ground down - but that complete lack of markings, no maker. etc.? Not even a sample piece!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.