Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm ready to do some sighting in and to see how far this thing will hold a pattern..
I like these mounts so much, I just signed up as a dealer for them.
They are sort of a turret set up, very sturdy and field reports are that they hold zero forever.
Scope is a cheapo but if the rifle shoots, I will upgrade (a lot).
I can't wait to see how my 70's Yugo ammo does with the short barrel.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Spot on chaz. the one i have,the mounts 'wander' in the 'sight channel'... my thinking was to take some glass bedding to match the base of the mount the the sight. (scope and mount now sit in the closet)... your mounts seem the way to do it for the scout set up.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The price on these is RIGHT (probably not allowed to mention it here) and they come with the machined steel rings included in the purchase price...
I just hung one on my Finn 91/30... and NOW I have to go buy back my M39 that I sold to my buddy..
I can't wait to shoot an M39 with a scope! (Sorry to all my k98's that overheard that!)

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, I have to go join a new new range where I can shoot milsurp ammo..
I may have to break down and buy a few boxes of softpoint ammo so I can use the range where I'm already a member.
Hardball ammo is verboten due to fire hazard, even when it's raining.

·
Registered
301 Posts
looking forward to seeing the results.

i just posted a thread asking about a barrel chop. please feel free to weigh in if you don't mind, which is another reason i asked about your results.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know if you saw the reason I had to have that one chopped but the only reason it might not work properly would be matching barrel harmonics to the ammo, as the throat and bore are perfect.
I expect the maximum range is down to three or four hundred yards with a 19 inch barrel(compared to around 800 yards for a 26 inch barrel).
I'm going to test it out to 300 as that's the max distance at the ranges around here.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was standing in a rack inside a pawn shop.
A customer brought in a rifle (I think it was a 300 Win mag) to pawn, and set it on the counter.
An employee picked it up and pulled the trigger and it AD'd and after clipping off the nose of the k98 went through the building and through the house next door.
Nobody was hurt, but many diapers needed changing.
I bought the rifle as it was matching numbers, but it later turned out to have faked numbers on the bolt flat, so I used the bolt in an R/C which got sold.
I still have the duffle cut stock and all the other bits match, but I can't find a DOU barrel with no imports marks, so as I already had the cutdown stock from a previous sporter resto, I figure I might as well have a tanker while the futile DOU barrel search continues...

·
Copper Bullet member
1,878 Posts
I have one of those mounts on a Yugo K98 and it works well. I did have a problem with the 2 mounting screws not work well but I replaced them with some I got at a local hardware store and all is good.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did not work well as in stripping out the threads, rounding out the hex, not staying tight, or what?
Did you upgrade to grade 5 or grade 8?

·
Copper Bullet member
1,878 Posts
Rounding out the hex and not staying tight. Do not remember what size I purchased to fix it, as it was 3 or 4 years ago, but they were a plain head steel screw. I do remember the screws were to long and I had to trim a little off the ends so they would not hit each other, but they are still longer than the factory ones.

08/13/08
Did some digging last night in the parts box and found the bag of screws I purchased and they are 6-32 x 3/8 stainless steel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts