Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Dunham's Sporting Goods today, and saw a Mitchell's tanker rifle. Cute little carbine, but is it something dreamt up by Mitchell's in their evil laboratory along with their questionably marked K98's? Just curious on whether or not it actually ever existed-for real that is?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes, the "Tanker" 98K is one of Mitchells wet dreams made real. I'm waiting next for their 98k "Untersee Modell" that shoots itsy bitsy torpedos or their Gestapo 98k that when fired only hits the usual suspects.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
As with almost all their fantasy island mausers the tanker is purely a figment of someone's imagination...the worst part about Mitchell's Mausers - is that people actually buy into their line of BS and waste big money for misrepresented products...

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the Serbs made these for hunting. They aren't military, but they weren't made for Mitchell's (they do have the import contract). Definately not military. At least, that's what I recall.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
CW - more Mitchell propaganda....pure BS. They are made in Serbia, by Zastava, for Mitchell...to pawn off on an unsuspecting people who don't know any better. They admit (in the small print) these are new manufacture but supposedly some foreign government ordered then but didn't take delivery...it must have been that smallest of nations that Gulliver travelled to - Lilliput, land of the Lilliputians!

For the record, .308 was introduced in 1952, .243 Winchester in 1955, but .270 Winchester is the oldest from 1923.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
To clear up a few myths.

MM had nothing to do with making these rifles. They were NOT specifically made for MM. They have been selling to the Europeans and others around the world.

MM just ordered some and put their own B.S. story to the rifle.

They have been available from Zastava for quite some time. You can view them on the Zastava web site.

They have absolutely nothing to do with K98s. period.

They are like Yugo Mausers intermediate action in 8mm. Other cal. are also available, and that alone makes them a good carbine choice for a shooter. They are not collector rifles in any sense. They were made for civilian shooters, or hunters.

They come in various cal. for hunting and or sportsman use all ove the world. They are good sellers on the European marked from what I am told by G.I.s.

They are good shooting carbines and look a lot like the Dutch Mauser police carbines.

For those smart enough to ignore MM B.S. stories and actually buy a rifle for what it is, will find these to be real nice shooters and handy. Some have crests on the receiver, other don't.

Forget the story by MM. THey are simply good shooters and or hunting rifles like any other hunting rilfe put out by Zastava.

They have NO history and no collector value, (yet). They are NOT or ever have been military rifles.

Check out the different calibers they come in. Something for every shooter.

There have been several past posts on these and all who own them have nothing but positive things to say about them and how they shoot. Very practical.

THis also means that it is not rifle correct for the Military Mauser forum. There is lots of info. on these on the sporting rifle forums for those interested

·
Registered
127 Posts
I never heard of them so looked them up. They are cute but about the price of a 700 or so it seems. Muzzle blast would be a bear. I had a 742 carbine in 30.06 and no one wanted to shoot near me due to the muzzle blast. Seems the Remington 798 is about same price?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,408 Posts
They are real cute little rifles. If their price ever get reasonable I'll buy one. I handled one at a show. I was impressed with it's quality. As stated above it's very similar in size to the Dutch police carbine.

Muzzle blast would be ....ER .....impressive!!

Here are a few photos compliments of Mitchells Mausers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts