Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing that Saturday. Last time I did that, I only carried the rifle for ten minutes. Lots of interest and the overpriced T99's on the tables, helped sell mine. I'll post an update latter.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
What are you getting rid of?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I did this awhile back. Had lots of interest and people said the price was "fair" but no buyers. I think if I had backed off on the price, I could have sold it, but no big deal. I'll hang onto it till after the HBO series ;)
Oddest momment was some guy stopped me and got all excited about buying it till I mentioned that it was Japanese! He said "Oh! I thought this was a SKS!"

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
A couple of years ago, I walked into our local show with Type 38 carbine. It had a fixed bayonet, AND an attached bayonet flag! One dealer commented, and one civilian asked to look at it. The civilian bought it. Twenty years ago, I would have never made it in the door. There's just no collecting interest in this area any more. All the guys that I learned from, have all passed on, or moved away. :( The good thing is, if anyone does come in with any military stuff, everyone points them in my direction!:p M.P.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
MP, wow... that seems to be opposite to what I see. Now there are too many collectors. All old milsurps are being gobbled up. I miss the days when 100 people would barely look at some old milsurp on the table until I came along.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi trench & bones :

You both are right, two sides of a coin. What is happening is that we have a newer generation of collectors and gatherers who are not into books and information other than what they glean from the internet, little snippets here and there. Also there is less left to look at and find as say back in the 60s to 80s when most of us began our collecting.
Yes I do miss my older friends who are now in Arisaka heaven, they certainly helped me tremendously to learn the ropes and all they had was Banzai, MRofJ, and Japanese Bayonets. Look at the profusion on new books we have available, but these modern folks don't want to read, in some cases cannot read worth sh_t, but are High school graduates none the less.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Hi trench & bones :

You both are right, two sides of a coin. What is happening is that we have a newer generation of collectors and gatherers who are not into books and information other than what they glean from the internet, little snippets here and there. Also there is less left to look at and find as say back in the 60s to 80s when most of us began our collecting.
Yes I do miss my older friends who are now in Arisaka heaven, they certainly helped me tremendously to learn the ropes and all they had was Banzai, MRofJ, and Japanese Bayonets. Look at the profusion on new books we have available, but these modern folks don't want to read, in some cases cannot read worth sh_t, but are High school graduates none the less.
Vicasoto
I have to disagree Vic. They read just fine.:confused: It's the lifting of books, and turning of pages, or any other physical activity, that is beyond thier meager abilities!;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm back from my walk.

Not much interest in my T99 with T30 attatched. My price was maybe to high, $400., for an all matching series two with wings, rod, T30 all with 90%+ finish. I did not see one other Japanese rifle at the Waterville Show. Had tons of fun anyhow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
T99

I recently took a dozen or so mostly last ditch type 99's I had bought as project guns years ago,Guns that I'm never going to get around to fixing... some mis matched, many missing a small part or two and all mostly ground, put them on my table at the Raleigh military show and priced them failry $100- $200.. I sold everything the first day. Walking about the show I saw guns that were just total junk and wonder where on earth the dealers get the insane prices they put on them...? The same dealers I heard wondering why their sales suck..
Kration

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The T99 I carried to the show was a series two that looks like the one that Riceone has for sale on the trader board. My wood is a touch better that his and his #8 metal is a touch better than my #99xxx. What a spread in serial numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts