Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I promised a bit of a range report on my "new" No4 Mk1 Savage...well I hadn't had a chance to get out but used the visit of my English cousins as a excuse to get out and give her a try... As for what we shot we had 2 M1's, 2 M44 (mosin carbines), 1 K98, 1 No1 Mk3* (my 1917 BSA), 1 No4 Mk1 (the 1942 Savage) and then a couple pistols including a 1911 Springfield...Let's just say we had one heck of a time.

As for the Savage I had a little trouble with it, the bolt kept "skipping over" the next round in the magazine, I am thinking that there is a bit of a seating problem or a weak magazine spring, of course as I write this I have pulled it out and looked at the magazine the front tabs are showing some rub marks so they might be bent...Not really sure and I will have to work with it. Which I will do once I strip the rifle down to the bear bits...

As for shooting, she fires like a dream, no problems with anything, standing I got a pretty fair group with just the volley sight, and then a really nice half dollar group with the regular peep site. All from about 100 yards, so not to far, but far enough for a bit of a challenge.

We shot the heck out of some pumpkins and all and all had a great time, especially the relatives who had not fired anything more powerful than air gun before...

Attached are some pics... Including a before and after of our target area, you'll notice at the beginning there was a tree there that the target was against...we had a bit of a rock n' roll minute firing the M1's and the Enfield all on a line and the tree came down, not our intent but very cool non the less.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Looks like a great time! Any day spent in the company of family, LEs, and M1s can be counted as a day very well spent. Looks like some fine shootin' too.

One tiny nit to pick...the piling swivel and forward sling swivel of the '17 BSA are on barse ackwards...long side s/b to the right.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Looks like

ya had a great day mate...well done. I've found a real good target for that 'informal' sort of target shooting. Its the regular shotgun 'clay' target...buy a box of 'em and set em up at different ranges. Out at 200 they're a real challenge....(even to see 'em much less hit 'em...:)

Most are that orange colour so if ya set em up against a dark background ya see em ok...when hit solidly with a hp bullet they just shatter so ya can see ya've hit something.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My right or your right...guess I put them on wrong last time I had it apart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My right or your right...guess I put them on wrong last time I had it apart.
If I may, having taught this by a friend from Werribee; long side of the swivel loop goes opposite the side the volley sights would have been mounted. To the shooter's right - as in the bolthandle side. Reason is; the sling was to be kept out of the volley sight's "field of view". (I had the silly notion that it had something to do with the slouch hat and the carry of the rifle slung over the shoulder and... Some things make sense when the history is known.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another nitpicky thing, but it will matter when talking to "serious" collectors. It's No. 1 Mk. 3 and No. 4 Mk. 1, you had No. and Mk. t'other way round. Not trying to be difficult, just wanted to point it out.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Please don't perpetuate the "weak magazine spring myth" The cause of not feeding properly is caused by the feed lips on the magazine being out of adjustment. One reason why the magazine should always stay with the same rifle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't perpetuate the "weak magazine spring myth" The cause of not feeding properly is caused by the feed lips on the magazine being out of adjustment. One reason why the magazine should always stay with the same rifle.
I kinda figured that was part of the problem from the rub marks on the right feed lip...but would it really cause the bolt not to catch the next round but go over the top of it? How do I adjust it? Is there something else it could be?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Pumpkin

Also thought you guys might like to see the pumpkin before the carnage...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
German Helmet Target

Awesome pics! Where did you get the german helmet style targets? :D
Just created it...I own a graphic design company...though it was much simpler than our regular work...here's the jpeg just fit it to page when you print it and away you go...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Upon further review, it looks to me that your rear sight protective ears have been installed backwards on your BSA No.1 mkIII*.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Upon further review, it looks to me that your rear sight protective ears have been installed backwards on your BSA No.1 mkIII*.
If so then who ever had it before me was really wrong because I put it all back on the way it was after I took it apart and cleaned it...and it doesn't look wrong from any of the diagrams I have at hand...thanks for the heads up though I will go back and check it again.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
As you're sighting down the rifle, the long side of the swivels go right (to clear the volley sights), the wide side of the backsight protector ears goes to the right (to clear the windage adjustment knob), and the band screws go left to right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts