Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been discussed on here before but I was unable to find it.
I am new to the Jap rifle collecting and feel they are under valued for a WW2 rifle.
My question is what is more important in collectability and value?
All matching with the mum, missing the dust cover or all matching with a ground mum and a matching dust cover? I have seen quite a few matching mum rifles but have only seen one rifle with a matching dust cover. I am trying to focus my collection on all matching rifles only. I just want to know what to look for.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
658 Posts
There are some other factors at play when determining value. Of course you pointed out full mum, defaced mum, or ground mum. Also there is if the rifle is supposed to have a dust cover does it match the serial number of the rifle (if for a type 99 anyway. Type 38s are a whole nother animal as they are matched by assembly numbers) and of course do all of the parts match the serial number (all bolt pieces, bayonet lug, and receiver). Also factors such as refinishing of the stock and missing accessories (monopod, cleaning rod, sling, etc.) can weigh on the value of a rifle. If you are lucky enough to find a rifle with bring back papers then those would increase the value of that particular rifle.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question would be is you had the same rifle as far as condition and make/series would you rater have a all matching mumed rifle w/o a dust cover or all matching rifle with a ground mum and matching dust cover. this would be for t99 rifles only. thanks again

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My goal is matching first(including correctly stamped stock). Then condition, and if it has it a mum is good but not the deal maker for me. Look at recent posts on this site. Discussion of the best reference books for the Arisaka collector.

·
Administrator
3,280 Posts
It is probably best that if you are looking for one, you might want to call them a Japanese rifle, instead of 'Jap' rifle - we have many members of Japanese heritage here :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not being raciest and IMO racism is only what someone makes it out to be. dont you think if you had an issue a PM would have been better? would it be the same for me to get upset every time someone called a rifle bubba?

·
Registered
180 Posts
In my opinion, I dont think Mr. tinker was out of line. He is the moderator after all, its kinda his job to make sure that I is treated with respect. I dont think he was trying to call you out or anything, just a friendly reminder.

And bubbah's come in alllllll nationalities. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Condition, Condition, Condition is what I look for. If it has a beautiful stock I can over look a ground mum and even a miss matched bolt. I have a very few with matching covers. Only the early series had them anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts