Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, there is a T99 carbine based on the T99 rifle. Over the years there have been a lot of comments about the carbine configuration, so thought I'd post a few detail photos of the example I have. And, no, I do not believe there was ever a serious effort to produce a 7.7 carbine in quantity. I would bet that production was made to conserve critical materials or make maximum use of reject barrels. The bottom photo on page 114 of the 5th edition of MROJ (maybe some earlier editions also) shows a Kasuga factory of Kokura Arsenal T99 carbine with a 19 in barrel. One of the keys to this being a correct carbine is the varient front sight. It is similar to but not identical to the T44 carbine front sight and features both Kokura 2nd factory and Kasuga inspection symbols (see page 13 of MROJ). Ears were machined off the sight to facilitate installation of the front band. The sight fits properly, and blue matches the rest of the rifle. This is a very rare rifle, a proud addition to my collection. I've not seen another but do believe they're out there.

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can't post multiple photos so will do with replies. Here's another photo of the front sight.

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and one final photo. I'll figure this procedure out later.

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yugo, you're faster than a speeding bullet. You caught me in mid-act.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Fred,
You can post multiple pictures. Just click browse again after uploading the first picture.
You can post up to 20.

Are those holes in the front sight?

How tall is the sight from bottom to top of the front sight blade?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
With that high front sight post, what kind of rear sight was used? I with the rest, more photos.

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Attached are a few more photos of the late T99 carbine. Serial number is 6920, 25th series, Kasuga factory. The 3-screw type front band is matched to the receiver, but is drilled out for one hole, the long screw. Wood was not drilled for cleaning rod. Fit of the front band to the wood is sloppy, not machine inletted. Under these conditions that would be understandable. This rifle was made at start-up of the factory and was made with whatever parts were available. As you know, there's a wide variation in late production from acceptible to sub-standard. I can tell the bore on this one is off-center which in my mind is what led to the barrel being shortened. It would have been too far off center at 26 inches. Oh, yes, 03man, those are holes in the front sight. I'll bet they're tooling features for assy of sight to barrel.

There are more details required to determine the correctness of this variation, but I don't want to provide a blueprint for repro. I did show the very small inspection symbols on the front sight, and that should put everyone on the right trail. When I originally acquired the rifle, I remember sitting in my den early one Sunday morning before church waiting on my wife and looking the rifle over one more time before packing it back up to return to the seller. I decided to disassemble it one more time and go over it with a 5X magnifier. That's when I found the front sight inspection symbols. Then I studied the whole rifle in a different light. Was I ever excited! Everything started falling into place, and I had a keeper. What a day that was!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts