Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've stumbled across one of these in fair condition at best. Original stock finish with no cracks or splits and minor handling marks, and crappy but original finish (hard to call it bluing).
I didn't pay it much mind at the time, because it has the kind of lettering on the stock that looks like you see on training rifles, the lettering in a rectangular cartouche that usually says "Blank ammo only" (sorry, I'm illiterate in Japanese), and I haven't been collecting training or school weapons, plus, the guy who has it started with a story about training rifles "reworked into usable firearms".
I have a copy of MROJ, but I'm away from home. Can someone give me the skinny on that story, and what a value might be?
I'll be going back (to collect data for Mr. Allen) and maybe I can get some pictures.
Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a 99 naval trainer and not a Naval Special. If you are sure it is a Naval special, suspect a re-stock if it has impressed kanji on the butt.
The letters are painted on. The reciever ring is marked with the special kanji before the type 99 markings but the special kanji is added, it seems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. I just called the guy, pictures are o.k. with him, but I can't get them until week after next. I'll post them then.
Cheers.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
Painted letters are COMPLETELY different. This is normally associated with Naval use and may be a unit designation or rack number depending. IF it is a Naval Special, we are talking $800-ish on up if not buggered with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.