Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gun club holds periodic "just for fun" silhouette matches with targets set from 50 to 235 yards. I use these matches to try out various rifles from my collection and decided it was time to pull out the T-99's. I have a very nice 32nd series that still was full of cosmoline. After cleaning it up and loading up some lead cartridges with 175 grain bullets over 18.5 grains of SR 4759 clone powder, I proceeded to take second place on the first try and first place last weekend. I hit all of the turkeys set at 167 yards and all of the rams at 235 yards shooting off hand. Got quite a few grumbles from the folks using 03A3's and Krags. I don't think the T99 is any more accurate than other rifles I've used, but my old eyes really like the rear aperture and that nice front inverted V sight. I think I'll try some bench shooting to see how she groups.

Vern

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice job!!!

A lot of people don't realize that the Type 99 was the first standard military issue rifle with a chrome lined barrel - at least for the early rifles...

·
Silver Bullet member
2,370 Posts
Furthest I shot one was 400yds on a human silhouette from prone. That was the furthest one I could see against the background. Dave is absolutely right, the man is the critical component.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts