Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am still learing about the t97 rifle i recently acquired from rich russell. appears that the bolt, front bayonet lug and magazine plate all match. the extractor is a no, but given the high probabilty that it is a battfield pickup (given its condition,full mum and obvious heavy usage) i could imagine that the part would have needed to be replaced under battlefield conditions. i have not checked the firing pin yet but would like to know if there are other numbered locations on a t97 i need to check? i have been using a 10x eyepiece and have discovered interesting stampings all over the darn thing

HERE IS THE REAL QUESTION. THE SCOPE SLIDES ONTO THE MOUNT 97% OF THE WAY ..WHAT IS THE BEST NON INVASIVE METHOD USED TO DETERMINE THE HANG POINT AND ADJUST THE FITTING. once determined, DOES ONE WORK ON THE RIFLE MOUNT BASE OR THE INSIDE OF THE SCOPE RAIL and with what abrasive material ??? IF THIS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED HERE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I DID TRY A SEARCH BEFORE ASKING.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Fitting the scope

With it that close, I would try cleaning it really well with a tooth brush.

Then lube with light oil and try again.

If it still won't go full on, I would use Prussian blue to mark and a needle file to fit it.

Some do fit really tight.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,988 Posts
Then you'll find the original matching scope & wish you hadn't done that.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
File the scope mount, not the base.

I should have made this clear in the first post. Don't do any filing on the base; and very little should be required on the mount.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,988 Posts
Better yet, put your files back in your tool box & see if you can swap your scope for one that fits better. The matching rifle for that scope may come up as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
scope number

Even more better yet, post your rifle and scope numbers here or send to Victor Soto; Adogs makes a point.

The rifle and or scope may be known already.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i used o3'S original suggestion AND cleaned it well...used a little ooo steel wool on one small rust spot, OILED IT WELL AND IT IS ON..THANKS 03 FOR THE SUGGESTION. I DID NOT CONSIDER USING A FILE OR WHEEL...I AM A MINIMALIST WHEN IT COMES TO HISTORICAL ITEMS
THE SCOPE AND RIFLE NUMBERS WERE TRANSMITTED TO VIC.(HE DID NOT HAVE THEM/ IT WAS AN UNKNOWN RIFLE AND SCOPE)..I SEND VIC NUMBERS ON EVERY T99, 97 SNIPER AND SCOPE I SEE IN MY TRAVELS.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE IMPUT....NOW ON TO MY SEARCH FOR A NAGOYA MONOPOD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts