Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the sight from a T53 that is in my collection. It is a Vietnam bringback by a 173rd vet, but no papers, and is in a Russian M44 stock. I am curious if anyone has any idea what the two holes in the sight are for.
It's something I've not seen on any others. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,084 Posts
I would think it is some sort of field modified peephole sight for long range. I'm more curious as to what that extra screw is for.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,479 Posts
This is the sight from a T53 that is in my collection. It is a Vietnam bringback by a 173rd vet, but no papers, and is in a Russian M44 stock. I am curious if anyone has any idea what the two holes in the sight are for.
It's something I've not seen on any others. Thanks!
M:

Take a look at this Vietnam bringback Type 53 with what I assume is an auxiliary grenade launching sight attached to the standard rear sight leaf. I'm not sure how the sheet metal extension is attached. There are no holes drilled or screws. Perhaps it was soldered in place.

Perhaps the holes in your rear sight were intended to attach a similar grenade sight. :confused:

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Is the screw threaded into the sight base? The ear on the sight base for the retaining pin looks bent so they may have just screwed the leaf to the base. Or its a grenade sight?:confused:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think it is some sort of field modified peephole sight for long range. I'm more curious as to what that extra screw is for.
I can't figure what the extra screw is for either - it is only in the sight and not the through to the base. Looking at the holes more closely it does look like they line up like Richard's sight, so I'm also guessing they are for grenade launching. - it did originally have one. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts