Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Looks like a nice condition mum’d 1st style bayonet housing to me...better looking than the ones I have.

The lighting makes it difficult to tell on stock and bluing colors. Maybe get some pictures outside under natural light.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
After looking closely, it looks like the metal surface was media blasted and reblued or was cleaned up after a perfectly even coat of lightly pitted rust that covered the entire rifle. The latter is improbable so I’d say yes, it was blasted and refinished. As a caveat, I’m looking at bright flash workshop photos on a cellphone!

Good pictures in natural lighting will help.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
My immediate thought is it looks bead blasted (fine media) and reblued. But hard to tell in pics. Parts look simply too uniformly blue, but also not quite the deep black Japanese blue, and I do honestly have a theory that Type 44 butt plates are fire blued (making this one look even more wrong). Lots of parts/areas look kinda fuzzy, rather than machining marks.

But it could all be the light or my noobieness. Looking forward to more pics.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The stock looks good to me. The spring on the rear sight, ejector box and the trigger would have been strawed from the factory, but type 44s were used and abused during their service life so they were often rebuilt. I have seen rebuilt Type 38s with blued buttplates. A picture of the stock inspection/acceptance marks would help a lot to determine a rebuild or not.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock looks good to me. The spring on the rear sight, ejector box and the trigger would have been strawed from the factory, but type 44s were used and abused during their service life so they were often rebuilt. I have seen rebuilt Type 38s with blued buttplates. A picture of the stock inspection/acceptance marks would help a lot to determine a rebuild or not.
Where do I find those marks? I also thought it has been blasted with a fine media. I can't find import marks. Seems like a lot of money spent on a bring back.
Here's some outside pictures.
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset
Bicycle Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface
Bumper Gas Tints and shades Bicycle part Automotive exhaust
Wood Wall Rectangle Trunk Wood stain
Wood Automotive exterior Shelf Bumper Wood stain
Brown Wood Amber Fixture Material property
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Wheel Line
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Fender Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.