Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting aside the variations in T38 bolts over the years (e.g., large protrusion safety vs. notch, etc.) are T38 bolts interchangeable with T38 carbine bolts? In other words, are the dimensions of the bolts the same?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The short answer is yes. The long answer is that many bolts - rifle and carbine - will not fit another similar weapon as they were hand fitted at the factory and often have minute differences that often will not let them function easily or safely. A common issue is that the safety will often not function.

Frank

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
I defer to Franks greater experience and knlowledge, but I have not run across a bolt that would not fit, in fact I don't know how to tell the difference in a carbine and rifle bolt unless they are matching to what ever its in and that does not show a difference, just shows that it matches the rifle its in.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I defer to Franks greater experience and knlowledge, but I have not run across a bolt that would not fit, in fact I don't know how to tell the difference in a carbine and rifle bolt unless they are matching to what ever its in and that does not show a difference, just shows that it matches the rifle its in.
I have, several in fact. Most have been associated with earlier Tokyo rifles.

Probably have seen more safetys that won't interchange and function.

I'm sure the several incompatibilities were due to tolerance stacking the wrong way on the different pieces.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Riceone is technically correct. It is the related bolt parts inter-relationships that will often not function properly. Extraction, ejection and safety function are the problems - usually the safety. I was being a bit too general in simply referring to the "bolt" not fitting properly.

I owe Roy a beer.

Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.