Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the difference between the T38 & T99 dust covers? I see a number of them for sale online with claims that one fits all, fits T38 only, fits T99 only, etc.. I believe there is a difference and the difference is on the inside; true?, help? -John

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
yes, 38 covers were a little longer than the 99s. 38s also had a steel block in them on the inside that was welded or riveted to the cover. i have a few 38 dustcovers that will fit a 99 but most 38 covers wont fit a 99. a 38 cover will fit a 44 though. type 99 covers will fit a type 2. confused yet?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T38 & T99 Dust Covers

The information I have received is that the T38 dust cover is longer (the one I have measures approximately 6-1/8") then the T99 and has a metal tang/stop welded or riveted inside of the cover (mine is welded). I have found two variations of this style. The one I have (6-1/8" long) has what appears to be bent sheetmetal (1/16" thick) welded to the inside of the cover. In addition the opening for the bolt has slots that are somewhat offset from each other going accross the width of the cover. The other cover (I have seen various photos) appears to be the same length (6-1/8") but the tang/stop is much thicker (say 1/4"?) and is riveted to the cover. Finally this second version has slots on the bolt opening that are identically opposite each other. What gives? -John

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning dellllta :
To simplify the dust cover question isn't as easy as just : (a) 5 7/8 inch long are T-99, and (b) all 6 inch long are T-38 ; but basically that is the difference between the two types.
Among the T-38s you have the ones with the thick stop ( early Tokyo ), those with the bent sheetmetal stop, and some that have no stop.
All original military issue dust covers have an arsenal / factory proof mark and the last one to three digits of the rifle serial number stamped on the rear end of the cover facing the firer.
There are dust covers of similar construction and lengths that are unmarked, made of thinner gage material, or cruder ; these basically are training rifle or else modern reproduction covers.
Yes recent reports here on Gunboards have discussed that among the 38 covers there are those where the slot openings have different angles, even that the very early 99 production covers having the bent stop just like some late 38s. Those interested in such details are now compiling data from known samples to support those theories and establish data. Despite 60 + years since the end of the war we are still finding new facts and trying to understand the rifle production in Japan.
So to make it easier for the moment, the length determines which type is involved; the second consideration is the factory mark and the 1 to 3 digit number, with those two parameters you can sort thru the piles of stuff on ads & e-bay.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
needle in a haystack..........

I've been asking questions about and surfing the internet for Arisaka dust covers. I have been purchasing everyone I can find that is different in some way. The reason being that the dust cover is missing on my T97 sniper. My T38 carbine has the original cover and it has the thick, 1/4", stop inside so I made the assumption that my T97 was the same type. The last one I purchased arrived today. It has the "thin" stop however, it has the same last three digits (I already knew this) as the receiver/bolt/etc.!!! Looking at the bolt I could see wear marks from a thin stop. When I installed this cover it went on easy, looks like it belongs, doesn't rattle and fits like a glove! I realize that there is supposed to be an arsenal mark on the cover as well but I can't make it out on any of my covers (bad eyes I guess). I realize this isn't as big a deal as finding a matching scope but I'm still jazzed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-John

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
I was describing one of the "Mukden carbines with matching dust cover" to a potential buyer last PM. When I pulled the cover I noted a 1/8" - 1/4" gap between the sides of the cover and the back. A sure sign of one of the early 80s repros, this one numbered to the carbine. Carbine has a two digit number stamped on top of the butt immediately forward of the butt plate top tang. You old hand know the former owner of this piece.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
dellllta,
Congrats, nice incredible find. Better buy a lottery ticket.

I would expect a 97 to have had the thin 'L' piece or none at all, as they were among the last 38 types produced in early WWII.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts