Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two members have recently discovered or purchased one of these rifles in excellent shape; they posted pictures and questions on the old board. Most who commented had not seen well used examples, well I have two, one used and one well used. Their details are:

A) Serial number 1,009,639; has ground mum and matching dust cover, bolt, safety, and renumbered matching extractor, striker is mis-matched as is the bayonet lug. Stock as two 'Na' and one 'Chi' inspection mark; stock has a cupped buttplate. The bolt and dustcover were 'wiped' and renumbered; the extractor's original number was canceled and renumbered on the side. The stock appears to have suffered a burn on the left side of the fore stock.

B) Serial number 1,779,722; has intact mum, no dust cover. Bolt and safety are matching renumbered. Bayonet lug is un-numbered, striker mismatched. Stock has the flat buttplate; and what looks like remnants of a poorly struck, and rotated 'Chi' proof.

The pictures below illustrate these features and the well worn condition.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
T38 Short Rifle- more pictures

It seems only 5 pictures per post are allowed; here are five more.

Notice that both floorplates are matching; number 722 has the 'Ri' mark for Toriimatsu plant of Nagoya.

You can also see the 'ghost' serial numbers that were removed before renumbering the dust cover for 639.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T38 Short Rifle- more pictures 2

In these pictures you can see the canceled original extractor number and the renumbering on the side of the extractor. The bolt renumbering and its original proofs are also shown.
The renumbered safety and the mismatched safety for 639 are shown.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,022 Posts
Cool rifles Don & great photos!
Sorry, I didn't read this post before I started complaining! You argue - I complain, so we're even:)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,380 Posts
Here Don, this is a pic I have on file of the assembly number on my short rifle, so that I don't have to take it apart again. Just thought it would add to your post.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike,
I obviously didn't take the rifles apart for these picts, so it is good that people can see how they were marked.

You need to lighten that photo though!

Adogs,
thanks- and you are correct, we each have our strong suit!

·
Registered
478 Posts
03, could you post some close up pics of the fire damage? That is most interesting looking. Speaks volumes that does!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts