Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you would like to see this. Don't know their fate, unfortuantely.

Mauthausen, 09. Oktober 2007 The last T-34 reaches the sunafter decades buried within a defensive fortification. The Zone-defense concept of the 70's and 80's separated Austria into defended regions and bottlenecks. Fixed fortifications were built in these areas.

Pillboxes and turret-mounted bunkers embedded Soviet T-34's along with other types to protect key passes and valleys. A total of 76 fortifications were built, including 19 with T-34's. These tanks were part of an aid-package presented by the Soviet Union in 1955 for the formation of the Austrian defense forces. Today the last was freed from a 60cm thick reinforced concrete bunker.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Would be intersting to know what they will do with the T34 as it is in real good condition, having been out of the weather for 30-40 years. If there is still an engine in it, I'll bet it will run with little effort.

Not sure but I think that is a T55??? Nothing earlier as it has a bore evacuator collar in the middle of the bbl. I think the T54 had it on the muzzle.
Sarge

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I'd lay odds that it is an SK 105 Kurassier (sp). The Austrians had a bunch of them and they were rapidly overcome by emerging technologies.

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,281 Posts
They are is really good condition. They should be sold like the ones in Finland were.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
Lemmy might be correct, but not sure. It has a turret bustle and the commander hatch overlaps the turret shape....imagine a turret tool box on the side next to the commanders hatch and yep, that's a Centurion turret....needs a tool box on the other side of the turret, too...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
96,302 Posts
Lemmy might be correct, but not sure. It has a turret bustle and the commander hatch overlaps the turret shape....imagine a turret tool box on the side next to the commanders hatch and yep, that's a Centurion turret....needs a tool box on the other side of the turret, too...
Well, I doubt that a turret arming a bunker needs a tool box or storage space for the things the crew carries around (unless you've been there, you can't imagine all the "stuff" a crew carts around on an AFV in a REAL deployment), so taking those off makes reasonable sense under the circumstances.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
Clyde, I was using the toolboxes as a reference. You rarely see a Centurion without the boxes on each side of the turret, so, I was getting folks to imagine the boxes and you'd see the Centurion. Nope, boxes are not needed in a static position unless they need to keep some coolers in there in case of the munchies hit'em....

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I bow to superior knowledge on this one. Looking at the original picture it is pretty clear that this is a Centurion. What I wonder about the T-34 is did the Austrians cut out the engine, and use the engine space for additional ammunition, the way the Israelis did with ones I have seen on kibbutzes?

·
96,302 Posts
Clyde, I was using the toolboxes as a reference. You rarely see a Centurion without the boxes on each side of the turret, so, I was getting folks to imagine the boxes and you'd see the Centurion. Nope, boxes are not needed in a static position unless they need to keep some coolers in there in case of the munchies hit'em....
Oh - I agree and I didn't mean to suggest anything but the how-come the turret doesn't look like a Centurion's as we usually see them. Until you mentioned it and i applied them mentally, I was trying to figure out what it might have been off of and not having a lot of success. And - if a Centurion, i think a late one because that sure looks like a 105 sticking out of it, what with the bore-evacuator configuration and location. Bustle isn't big enough (or the turret shaped right) to have been an M-26, M-46, or M-47, plus wrong gun.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I bow to superior knowledge on this one. Looking at the original picture it is pretty clear that this is a Centurion. What I wonder about the T-34 is did the Austrians cut out the engine, and use the engine space for additional ammunition, the way the Israelis did with ones I have seen on kibbutzes?
The Finns did this on the tanks they used in this manner. The engine area now has wooden floors on the Finn tanks.

·
96,302 Posts
Barrels for Glocks, or AUGs, we can hope.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,281 Posts
you are being too optimistic

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Tuco, thanks for the pic. Reminds me of the T34/85 that is embedded at the kibbutz at the south end of the Sea of Galilea. It's covering the road approach from the Golan Heights. The Israelis floored their T34s in as well, and put racks in for lots-and-lots of shells.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Ok, I am a little dense. Without the engine, what powered the turret, etc? :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts