Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Diamond Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 25 years, I have cataloged information on T14, T94, and some T26 pistols. As almost all Japanese production records were destroyed during the war, about the only verifiable information known about these pistols is the result of observations. My database exceeds 9K entries (around 2.5% of total production) with specific information on most of the individual reported pistols. My database has been used as a reference by various book and article authors to support their discussions about Japanese pistols. The accumulation of this information's purpose is the expansion of knowledge about these guns' production history.

I request information on these pistols for my database. I would like to hear from all T14 and T94 owners. I would also like to hear from owners of T26 pistols with serial numbers below 1,000 and above 58,800. If you are willing to participate, I will need the gun type, date code, and serial number. If I need additional information about the individual gun, I will respond with specific questions about its features. If you want to know more about the gun as relates to its production, I will gladly reply with whatever information you need (except for its value).

If you are willing to respond with information about your T14, T94, and T26, please contact me by email at: [email protected] Thank you.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
Pistol Data

Feel free to post responses here. I have added a link in the research data sticky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok brad i just inhareted my unclys bring back nambo pistiol. from what i can tell it is a type 14 made in 1939, it a large trigger guard' has the 25grove grips and seams to be called a transitional type 14 showa. the number on it is 14.11 the ser number if i am correct is 70759. if u need any more info just ask.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
I and Harry Truman (he's still around isn't he?) are the worlds worst spellers. If you use Firefox as a browser it will underline in red most of your misspelled words if you can spell it close enough so the program realizes what you are trying to spell, not always the case with me. I too dislike texting jargon and at some future gun show if you see a Lodestone/Banzai banner stop by and chat and I'll tell it to your face. Or if you are in the Eva, AL vicinity stop by and we can share my Diet Dr Peppers and I'll discuss texting jargon. I won't have a PC at the show, but I will at home.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Being a texting Nazi (yeah, Firefox says it's capitalized) I plum forgot what Dan's post was about. In this "hobby," if that's the correct term for our obsessions, less than one percent do 100% of the research, Allan, Honeycutt, Larkin, Soto, Strange, Voigt, Zielinski, to name a few. It's a simple enough matter to carry a pocket notebook to shows and record the dates and serial numbers Dan needs for his research. You don't even have to mail the data, it can be posted on this forum. You can help that one% to expand the Japanese pistol/revolver data base and you will be helping the whole collecting fraternity.

Allan is revising the Siamese Mauser book and could use ??? as well as information on "different" T 38s, Soto needs sniper/scope data, Strange needs KM #s, dates and a description of the arsenal/subcontractor logo, Voigt can post his T 99 needs, and Zielinski needs Murata rifle types and serial numbers. I yield my soap box.

·
Registered
609 Posts
not all sellers like a guy walking around with a notebook and writing down serial numbers! well not overhere that is.

Type 14 date 5 . 5 tokyo ser: 12875
type 14 date 19.9 nagoya ser: 55810
type 94 date 19.5 nambu ser: 53076

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
A unclys the guy doin your ant susie, don cha no. LOL I make lots of notes on stuff I find at shows,unfortunately my short hand would lose a lot in translation (darn close to cyber gibberish) And some of my research notes even i cant read,usually those I work all night on in northern alabama,I suspect Rockhill tampers with them but caint prove it... I use research to find stuff folks need,like last trip south, It was discovered a good friend was mising several cleaning rods,but by weird coincidence I found (thru my notes,of course) I had the exact perfect rods in my duffle bag right there in his basement I could sell him real cheap like.......research pays ;)

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Apparently this is another case of typing a reply and filing to post, comes with hanging around with Riceone. I mentioned when I was getting info. for the tables in "The Type 99 Arisaka Short Rifle" I reduced the parts ID sheet, only one page back then, and glued several in a pocket notebook. I'd explain to a person with one or more 99s on their table the 99 research, what I was doing and asked if it would be OK if I noted the parts on their rifle (s) for the book. With one exception everyone was agreeable.

With the Nambu data I explain that a friend has a data base he's been building since the late Cretaceous, how it's used, and would it be OK if I copied his date/SN? So far everyone as agreed. Now to post.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Ronin48 :

Gun show promoters have had no camera rules since J C was a seaman second, I don't know how they are dealing with today's crop of cell phones which are photo capable . With over two decades of experience jotting down data on sniper equipment I find certain human trends. First time at a new venue it is a hit and miss how gun sellers will respond to your request to gather information from items on their tables. When you do this season after season as we did at the old Great Western Show in the 1990s and they haven't had any bad consequences from your activity most sellers won't mind, some will even pull stuff from under the tables for you to look at.
In some cases my notes being passed on to contacts have created sales for that seller and that opens doors of trust wider. Your reputation as a researcher follows you, you will be asked to identify things , appraise, translate and they will save stuff just for you to look at . It is the human interaction that takes place which elevates research above the normal lookeelooks . Yes you will run into bad apples and jerks,
but then again that is a part of life, very few crabs stay in business long .
One thing I have developed is the art of looking at an item of interest and memorize its features ( mum, match,serial #, condition, accessories ) step away and then jot down as much as I remember. I always carry my notebook as that shows how the data I take fits into what I do, that shows a seller that I mean no harm or ulterior motive. I ask for their business card and jot down on the back the item and asking price that way I can pass it on to someone I know is interested. I also carry my "business" card as well as they may have stuff at home that they would like for me to know about or know someone else that has what I am looking for.
It has been a very rewarding sidelight to my collecting and is now a lifetime goal now that I am retired .
Vicasoto

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Vic, the one 99 seller that refused to allow me to handle his rifle did not remove it from the table so I walked by several times making note of the different features and recording them a few tables down. He knew what I was doing, but wasn't smart enough to put it under the table out of sight.

When gun show folks understand what you are doing and learn you don't record their names or table location close to 100% are decent folks. No doubt those that aren't can't spell, don't use Firefox, and use text abbreviations when posting on this forum, HA! I note I have/had a PM from the gentleman in question which I deleted without reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brad i am sorry for all the drama hope my info on the nambo helped. I have a problem being called stupid its hard for me to spell i have dislexiea.just wanted to give you the info hope it helps, and i have the bring back pappers and holster that went with the pistole

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Well csa9766, you have my apology for criticizing your spelling and use of texting abbreviations. Sorry about your dyslexia. You are still invited to visit at a show or here. Doss

Four PMs from him in the last six minutes, one stating he's 260 pounds of romping stomping dynamite and he's gonna beat my behind. I withdraw my apology, he's blocked so no more PMs.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Never pick a fight with an old man, he cant out fight you and aint inclined to out run you so odd are he'll just kill you,he aint got all that much to lose,LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine is a great number 1776 Nagoya second series 18.11. With 24 groves in the grips. All matching except the mag. The mag. is a early nickel plated number 741. The cocking knob is the early type knurled. It is in very good condition with no marks from the safety on the grip. If somebody has a blued mag 776 for sell or trade let me know.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Guys I removed some posts to tamper some hot points. Let's keep this on track and not be silly about it. It's a research thread and we don't need to be flinging poo here. Points been made.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
This is my first and only T94. I've always thought they were pretty cool but never got around to picking one up until the SoS this Feb.

19.10 date, 62186 SN. Matching mag, ~98%+ original blue.

I dont really know anything about these but I like the later Japanese weapons, it looked like a nice one and it spoke to me, so it came home with me. Hope the info helps.

T94aCropped.jpg T94bCropped.jpg

·
Diamond Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All, Thank you to those who have posted pistol information here and to those who have recently contacted me direct providing collection data. Please keep the information coming.

csa9766, Thank you for resurecting this thread after a 4.5 year hiatus.

Vic, I appreciate you removing the poo and keeping this thread on track.

·
Registered
10 Posts
T14 #1 - 85576 Nagoya first series 18.8
T14 #2 - 17246 Nagoya second series 19.2

T94 #1 - 29132 Nagoya Chuo Kogyo 17.6
T94 #2 - 40544 Nagoya Chuo Kogyo 18.10

1 - 20 of 49 Posts