Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this type 99 at a local pawn shop for $350 but I can get it cheaper if still there. In person the mum appears intact but you can feel what appears to be a strike and it really shows up in the picture. The wood is in excellent condition but it is missing upper hand guard. Is the upper hand guard something easy to acquire? Appears to be set up for anti-aircraft wings but they are not present. Where was this made, and what year? What is a fair price? I am not real knowledgeable about Japanese weapons. Thanks for the information. David

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on Japanese firearms on the net. There are many experts here, including the ones that write the books. I'm not one of them, but I do buy their books.

The rifle was made by the Tokyo Juki Kogyo Arsenal, sometime in the first or second quarter of 1942. It should have had all the early features.

Unfortunately, Buford (Bubbas cousin) got to the rifle before you found it. He "enhanced" it by stripping the stock of it's original Urishi finish. The two screws on the front band are missing, as is the cleaning rod release assembly. The AA sights are also missing, along with the cleaning rod. It might have originally had a monopod also.

We didn't even get to whether the bolt was matched by the last three numbers of the serial number.

This is a classic example of how to turn a $350 rifle into a $85 "victim".

The original companies have been out of business since 1945, so finding parts can be a challenge, and sometimes expensive.

Do your homework, and look for a complete example.

Dean (the other one)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Dean is right on. If you are interested in Japanese rifles, take the time to do some research on them and maybe buy a book or two. It will save you from wasting your money on a POS like this. Keep an eye on the auction sites to become familiar with what an original finish on the stock looks like. That's one of the biggest "kisses of death" to a collectable rifle. MROJ is a great and inexpensive reference to have, if you are only going to have one book. I have all the books, I think, and still go to it first.
BTW, this is what a nice, early, 37th series TJK looks like.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.