Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this and just cant make out the series marking on the side of receiver.The guy I got it from used Firing pin variations to guess that is is 10th -I dont know enough about T-99 series to make an ID.I have MRJ but that ditdnt help.The stock appears to be a different type of wood than what was usually used.Any info on wood,or series or if this is a late firing pin? All numbers match down to FP and safety.I figured it cant be that late because it stil has dust cover grooves.Then again I have not studied the T-99 as much as you all.Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Im sure its either 10th, or possibly early 11th by the features, pattern is too late for a 8th series under 10K has to be at least 10th (but I cant see the mark clearly enough to rule out 11th ) My gut says 10th....Look at the rear sight ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
What a crappy series mark, but I vote 10th too. Nice rifle.

The dc grooves extended well into the the 11th series.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,413 Posts
I think it is an 11th. Can't remember when the C type firing pin started showing up, but think it showed up in the 10th and not that early. If it was an early eigth it would most likely have the 2 screw swivel and earlier style fixed peep.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The series mark is likely a 10th, made with a broken stamp.
There have to be others out there right before this one that bear the distinctive markings of a stamp that is failing. I wouldn't look for many past this serial number--that die stamp was ready to be junked when it stamped the receiver being discussed.
The indicators will be tell-tale cracks showing to the left and right of the series mark, then entire pieces removed from either side of the mark (stamp), all leading up to this one. Very nice rifle!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
The series mark is likely a 10th, made with a broken stamp.
There have to be others out there right before this one that bear the distinctive markings of a stamp that is failing. I wouldn't look for many past this serial number--that die stamp was ready to be junked when it stamped the receiver being discussed.
The indicators will be tell-tale cracks showing to the left and right of the series mark, then entire pieces removed from either side of the mark (stamp), all leading up to this one. Very nice rifle!
I'm cracking up here that you know all this & don't know diddley about your 6th series on another post ;) I'm bad, I know it - I just can't help it :rolleyes:

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is one of the worst series marks I have seen on a T-99.Thanks for all the info I will go with 10th.The wood was a little different-like a hard wood or more close grained than the regular Wood used oon T-99's.My friend just told me he has the T-99 book from Lodestone and would loan it to me to study.Thanks again!I wish I would have kept all the other ones I sold back in 1990,I would have a nice collection now.I had an interrupted thread Navy Takedown T-99 and traded it to a friend of mine in 89.He still has it and I get to visit it from time to time.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
I had an interrupted thread Navy Takedown T-99 and traded it to a friend of mine in 89.He still has it and I get to visit it from time to time.
How do you sleep at night? ;) My gosh, I'd never let one of those go.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was a coin collector long before I ever picked up an Arisaka. I may ask you questions about the state of events, that is to say, sequences, occurrences, and couplings, but trust me, I know dies, stamps, die-breaks and things of which you will never even dream.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
coin collecting - that's where I should have gone. No one wants to ban coins and they don't take up much room.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Get yourself a scanning Bausch & Lomb Microscope, and learn all about Tempo Tsuho-they're very inexpensive and neat stuff. A great place to start with Japanese numismatics.
Then try the 1/2 won 1905 Korea. You'll like that one too.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
I did buy some Meiji dated silver Yen pieces a while back as well as some other Taisho & Showa dated coins & paper money. The Yen used to be divided into 100 sen - like our dollar is = 100 cents. My 50 sen coins are silver. Now, they (the Japanese) have had some serious inflation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts