Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Read the post way below dated 10-12-07, with results on PCI ammo.

Original post:
You may remember the post from a couple weeks ago. I was getting lousy groups with two centers.

I relieved two spots of pressure on the barrel, at the handguard and at the front band.

Then tried again. This time the groups were more 'normal', i.e. random about a point not strung vertically. Unfortunately I did introduce another variable, as I changed from the 3x9 scope at 9x to my old stand by 4x. It is possible the cheap 3x9 scope was the 'problem' and not holding vertically.

Next time out I have a 10x leupold fitted and we will see what I can do when I can see the lines on the target!

Best group was with norma ammo, just under 2" at 100 yds, some of Dave's reloads with 4064 powder went to just under 3". Unforutnately now I'm out of norma ammo, and will go back with daves loads in 3031 and 4064.

Hey Dave, send more ammo!Please.

The picts below recap from two weeks ago and the second target is from from this week.
Third is the little 20mm Chinese 4x scope.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don, Looks like it`s tweaked in the right direction and she likes Norma ammo. Too bad we
don`t know what powder/quantity that Norma uses,otherwise we could duplicate that in our reloads.Those 2" groups @100 yds are darn good.Can you tell me the bullet weight and
3031 charge weight that Dave makes up for you? I`ve tried to get 3031 powder around here in NJ, but they`ve been out of stock.If I order it from out of state, the freight costs
more than the powder.

Charlie

·
Registered
859 Posts
Did you have a rear bag this time ? There are always a lot of variables, leading to lots of test shooting ! Something else to look at, how wide are the crosshairs on the scopes ? If the crosshairs are wide and cover up 2 inches of the target at 100 yards, it will be hard to shoot groups better than what you can see . It does look like about a 60% improvement, and it helps to look at it as a % . 60% is a lot, back when I was drag racing at the pro level we would spend a lot for a .5% improvement , and be very happy to get it . mag

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave's loads

Charlie,
the 6.5 x 50 3031 load is 31.5gr with a 140gr sierra HPBT

The 4064 load is 34.0 gr, with a speer 140 spitzer sp, I don't know if it is flat based or BT.

Dave?
Weren't the bullets I send flat base? I think I got them from Graf's.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mag,
you are correct. The crosshairs in the 4x are pretty much 1 to 2" (apparent) at 100 yds.
Hence the change to the better scope for the next outing.

The 4x is fine for 'wet' work, but for the target a fine crosshair is needed.

I'm just happy the groups, are looking like they 'should', at least to me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don, thanks for the "recipe" that Dave is using for your range testing.Will copy it down
before STML (short term memory loss) sets in.

Charlie

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update 10-12, more results

No picts this time, left the targets in my buddy's truck.

I have confirmed to my satisfaction:

PCI ammo is not very accurate, 6" to 8" groups with my 2" capable 97 at 100 yds.

31.5 gr of 3031 With the BT 140 g sierra, 4" with fliers to 6", at 100 yds.

34gr of 4064 with speer 140g spitzer, I think this is a flat base bullet, 2" at 100 repeated. The 10x scope helped to tighten the groups from this ammo from 3 to 2" with this ammo. The scope cross hairs were an issue when the ammo was decent!

thanks to Davef for the loads above, now when I get more ammo I will try again.

We also shot a standard ruger 10-22 for fun at 100 yds and were able to keep 1-1.5" groups with no problem. This is a standard stainless bbl rifle, but in a Hogue overmould stock for the bull barrel, i.e. the whole bbl is 'floated'. Nice shooting little rifle; not quite as good as the Bull barrel, but for the money it's darn good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts