Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this Hungarian (FEG) Tokagypt. It came with 2 matching magazines for the original 9mm Parabellum and a barrel and magazine in 7.62x25mm Tokarev. I've shot it in the 9mm and it shoots well but the bigger grip makes it feel a bit unwieldy compared to my TT-33. It's a Century import that has had the original marking removed. It's an interesting pistol with a fascinating history. The added thumb safety works well compared to the ones on the recently imported TT-33's.

I've heard that these were a failed Egyptian police or military contract. Are there any records on how many of these were made?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
That's a cool pistol.
They don't show up too often. Aprox. 15,000 were made.
You are absolutely right. At first, they were ordered for Egyptian military, then the order was switched to police. Both, military and police rejected this gun and they were sold to Germany for commercial sale.
The safety works better because this gun was build with external safety (VS "added safety" in recent imports).
Tokarev is not the best 9mm pistol.
I experimented with m213 few years ago. After few minor changes I could convert it 9mm to 7.62mm and back in a matter of few minutes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
bought one back in mid 90's shop didn't know it as anything but a tokarev and priced like the chicom $85. no import marks just one mag tho. just don't see any, went to gunshow many years ago trying to see what the vultures behind the tables would offer. one guy claimed to see them at all the shows very common so would only offer bout $50 bucks knew he was lying as i go to all local shows and had never seen any so knew it had to be worth a good bit more.
apologize for being rude but what did you pay for ballpark?

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feldscher,
I'd seen one of the ones exported to W. Germany, it was bought by a soldier in a PX. That's a nice rig you assembled there, did you make a spacer for the 9mm magazine?

reiver,
Ballpark would be around $250 for the complete rig. They are very uncommon around here, I don't think that I've seen 3 or 4 over the years.

I wonder how many of these Century imported in the early 90's.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
805 Posts
I picked up one at my local gunshop about two years ago. Pistol was all matching with two matching mags in 9mm and a barrel and two non matching mags in 7.62. It wasn't import marked. It had the same 12 in a circle on one side of the slide the hammer and sickle on the other with 9mm parabellum and a + 7.62. My dealer told me he took it in on trade from a soldier who bought it out of the px in Germany. I never usually believe stories though.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only way to be sure it came from West Germany would be if it has their proof marks. I think that all firearms sold there had to be proof tested whereas ones intended for export do not. The one that I saw was scrubbed and only marked Parabellum / 9mm on the slide and had the lanyard loop snipped off. I don't remember what the proof house and date were. They were sold under the trade name Firebird I believe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
My m213 was manufactured as 9mm pistol.
Norinco did not do too much to change Russian 7.62 design to 9mm commercial. The clip spacer was already in it; luckily, the pin was only thing that was holding it in place.
I had to do the following to make this conversion:
1. Got new 7.62 barell.
2. Got standard TT-33 clip.
3. Made ejection port longer by about 4mm to accomodate longer TT-33 rould.
4. I had to file off about 4mm of metal on one of the cartridge slides (to match it with the one on my Soviet TT).
5. Optional wraparound grips.

I sold this pistol 2-3 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts