Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this Hungarian (FEG) Tokagypt. It came with 2 matching magazines for the original 9mm Parabellum and a barrel and magazine in 7.62x25mm Tokarev. I've shot it in the 9mm and it shoots well but the bigger grip makes it feel a bit unwieldy compared to my TT-33. It's a Century import that has had the original marking removed. It's an interesting pistol with a fascinating history. The added thumb safety works well compared to the ones on the recently imported TT-33's.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for posting pic, been wanting to see what one of those look like. I have a Norinco 54-1 also in 9mm with larger grips, looks very similar to your Tokegypt. To me, feels better in the hand than TT-33. JMOO

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your welcome, they are a unusual variation of the Tokarev that doesn't show up too often. Maybe it's just my medium size hands that the larger grips feel a bit bulky in. But it does shoot very well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gunner - I remember these from the mid-90's when the package you have was advertised in Shotgun News. I thought they were cool and bought one too! They were really playing us when they put that hammer & sickle on them :) Of course it was strictly an advertising gimmick to make them sell better. The piece was 100% Hungarian and never saw mother Russia. Several parts (hammer and takedown) are marked with the distinctly Hungarian "02"

Given the history of the "pure" Tokagypt -made for the Egyptian police but never placed into general service, then the contract was canxed, I think the Hungarians and/or importers were looking for ways to offload their remaining stock. One idea was to put the commie marks on them and sell them as cold war trophies (I think thats how ours came about). I also have another one that is simply marked "West Germany" and "Firebird" on the slide. Little did they know that if they'd left them alone with the original Tokagypt markings, the collectors would have snapped them all up for princely sums!

·
Registered
233 Posts
BTW - Would be good to know the serial # of yours -can't make it out in the pic. The spread might give us a rough indication as to the size of the lot that was marketed like this. Also -if others are out there the SWAG would be better!

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Minidriver,

The serial # is HF 4250. I wonder if this is a separate serial number from the Hungarian M-48 production, or just reworked Tokarev examples pending a contract. There were all that many made before the deal fell tough. Mine like yours has the "02" marking on the small parts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gunner – This pistol is a strange bird. All of the “Super 12” guns I’ve seen have had the serial numbers on the right slide under the ejection port and on the front gripstap. Other so called “Tokagypt” pistols including the original Tokagypt, those with “Parabellum” marked slides, and those with “Firebird” marked slides, have the serials in the traditional Hungarian pistol location on the flat behind the trigger on the left frame side (pic attached). Also. Because the Super 12’s look brand new and have no evidence of ever having other serial numbers, I believe that they were produced at the end of the Egyptian contract run for commercial sale using the tooling from the Tokagypts. The Parabellums and Firebirds on the other hand were probably made during the Tokagypt run, but not for sale to the Egyptians. FWIW, the fit and finish on my Super 12 is much better than on my Firebird.

FYI, another observed HF series serial # is HF1373

For those who want more info on these cool pistols, here is a write-up from the SecurityArms.com website:

“FEG MODEL 58 "TOKAGYPT"
Type: recoil operated automatic pistol
Chambering: 9mm Parabellum
Length overall: 7.56in (192mm)
Barrel: 4.53in (115mm) rifled
Weight unladen: 32.1oz (910g)
Magazine: 7-round detachable box

A modification of the Soviet Tokarev TT33 for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. This had a new safety catch fitted on the left top side of the receiver, a one-piece wrap-around plastic grip and a finger support on the magazine. It was produced to meet a contract placed by the Egyptian Army in 1958, but the army authorities changed their mind and the guns went to the Egyptian police. Apparently the police didn't like it either and, after the first few batches had been delivered, the contract was terminated. This is difficult to understand; the concept was sound, and the pistols were well made. Perhaps the decision was more political than technical. The remaining guns were released to the commercial market, many being sold in West Germany under the name 'Firebird'. About 15,000 Tokagypts are believed to have been made. 7.62x25 replacement barrels and magazines were also manufactured. “

For some reason, several (all that I've seen) Tokagypts, Firebirds and Parabellums have West German stampings. Some German importer must have cut a deal with FEG on these.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First time to respond here guys but I thought you might like to see the real deal. This is one of the pistols that was to be issued to the Egyptians. It came in its original box serialized to the pistol along with the test target, extra mag and cleanining rod. It is unfired and in 99% condition.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's definitely a super piece KB! It appears to have a nice set of mottled brown colored grips while the various other brands have mostly black grips. Is this an import marked gun? I'm guessing not, as had not heard that they were were being imported in any great numbers. Welcome to Gunboards by the way -you bring some nice toys to the table!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Minindriver, it is not import marked. Story that I received is that it was brought into the country in the early 60's. I bought a collection of an older gentleman that had this and some combloc Tokarevs ie. Hungarian M48, Polish, Romanian and M57 Yugo. The Hungarian, Polish and Romanian are Non imports, unaltered, unfired and possible unissued. The M57 was about 90%. He told me he had a some pilot buddies that were able to get them out of country and that was as far as he went.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KB22, that's a rare Tokagypt rig, thanks for sharing it with us. It's only the second one I've seen in my years of collecting that has the original marking intact.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Minindriver, it is not import marked. Story that I received is that it was brought into the country in the early 60's. I bought a collection of an older gentleman that had this and some combloc Tokarevs ie. Hungarian M48, Polish, Romanian and M57 Yugo. The Hungarian, Polish and Romanian are Non imports, unaltered, unfired and possible unissued. The M57 was about 90%. He told me he had a some pilot buddies that were able to get them out of country and that was as far as he went.
Wow -EXCELLENT! If you get a chance, lets see those pics! There was a VERY short period in the late 80's when a few Hungarians came in via import -with safety added of course. You certainly hit the mother-lode!

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Awesome instant collection KB22! :eek: All extremely difficult guns to find in that non-import condition.

SlimTim

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a great collection of rare original Tokarevs, thanks for sharing. I have a really nice non-import Izhevsk 1948 date TT-33 that's matching except for the magazines.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very nice indeed! Also, very interesting history! I must say, as I am looking for a Tokagypt as well as others, this is a very nice specimen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dug out a few other ones that you don't run across to much. These are the Chicom Type 51s from the Korean War. The first two are from 1952 and are the better of the three. The last one is 1953 and that one has seen a harder life.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shazam!! I haven't seen any Korean war Type 51 outside of a museum and even those weren't as nice as some of these. You da man!

·
Registered
583 Posts
well i have finally got some more info on my tokagypt. it is identical to KB's. no box one # mag to gun but came w/ a chicom brown leather holster wish i could figure out how to post pics tried several websites for pics but can't figure out how to download pics

1 - 20 of 22 Posts